Alty

Installing a boost gauge.... Help

Just making sure I have everything ready to go before I install my boost gauge but having a quick look under the bonnet as always reveals another problem!

29ykw8k.jpg

What does this brass fitting do and is it needed ? I take it that small hose attached to the fitting is not meant to come out ?

2m9sa1.jpg

And is it correct for the boost line to go into the back and not the front?

Update: Forgot to mention that there was another gauge installed already that never worked.

Thanks Scott

Edited by Alty

After reading more into this it seems that "Most" people install from the vac pipe from the cluster ?

I'm guessing this is for a G60? if so then yes, from the back of the cluster is the neater way to do it. Not sure what that square brass fitting is, but I'm guessing it was the place the first boost gauge was plumbed in, and probably why it now isn't working.

Yeah G60, Just need to find a replacement material braided vacuum hose are they a standard internal diamater ?

Thanks Scott

The braided hose to the ECU is a very specific diameter (and needs to be a specific length). You can get it from VW, but I seem to recall it's only available in 5m lengths. Not sure whether it is as important to use the proper VW stuff for the one to the back of the clocks though...

The one to the ECU is fine, It's the one off the back on the throttle body where that brass fitting is because the previous owner ran the clear tube to there ....?

I've gone ahead and ordered 1m off VW Heritage I'm sure it will be fine..... :S

Thanks For the help.

No problem, and good luck with it G60's are good fun (as long as they are well looked after).

Boost gauge all installed ok! Peaking at 14 PSI which I think is ok? (JabbaSport Charger). I just have one question about "inHG" This is my first charger and used to vacuum on idle, because its a charger is that why there is no vacuum on idle ? When i feather the throttle to take vacuum it will drop and at it's lowest it's about 22ish is this good ?

Thanks Scott

14Psi is a good strong pressure. Doesn't matter on the charger, just the pulley size will alter this. But if ISV is installed with a standard/Jabba map it should never go over 14psi.

I think if you use the vac pipe to dash this comes out of the throttle before the inlet side, ie no vacuum until throttle opens a little.

I always use the other nipple from rear of throttle as most people delete carbon canister anyway. And I never personally bothered with gauges with vacuum on them :)

But yours does sound fine

Boost gauge all installed ok! Peaking at 14 PSI which I think is ok? (JabbaSport Charger). I just have one question about "inHG" This is my first charger and used to vacuum on idle, because its a charger is that why there is no vacuum on idle ? When i feather the throttle to take vacuum it will drop and at it's lowest it's about 22ish is this good ?

Thanks Scott

Glad to see it's gone ok. 14psi sounds about right, especially if you're running standard head/cam. Unfortunately my car is in bits at the moment so can't check, but I would have thought that on idle there should be some vacuum (from memory I'm sure mine pulls a vacuum on idle). Is the throttle cable adjusted properly on yours (check the idle switch is active with your foot off thr throttle and that with your foot off the throttle that it isn't slightly open), and where is your idle (in rpm)?

I'm currently trying to fins an isv as I'm struggling to find a working second hand one! I also have no rev counter but have a set of clocks on there way so once I have both of these things on I'll look into it again.....

Again thanks for the help. :)