ausgolfer

G60 fuel hose issue

Hey guys and gals.

Recently had my clutch replaced and yesterday on my trip to work I had a strong fuel smell enter the car. Long story short the fuel hose was either poorly reinstalled at the end that connects to the fuel tube under the vehicle. Or during the gearbox out process the pressure in whatever direction has pulled the hose semi off over the spool on the fuel tube.

Basically had I been driving for a few more minutes there would have definitely been a fire.

Anyway I have managed to loosen the hose clamp. Push the hose back into the correct position and tighten. I actually added another hose clamp.

Anyway it's not leaking any more but I'm now paranoid that the hose could pull off the tube while driving.

I've read that this hose is a common failure point. Does anyone have any suggestions to how I can avoid this happening again? Should I replace the hose regardless of it not leaking anymore?

Yeah replace it, especially with the climate where you are... can be so dangerous as it's right above the exhaust manifold!

Needs to be good quality hose to bend in the U shape and use proper VW hose clips, not ones that can be over tightened etc