PRANA666

Help Identify My Alarm ( I think it is factory fited )

Hi guys,

As it says above I need some assitance to identify my alarm and to see if I can get a fob or two for it. After doing some research on the forum it seems to me that I have a scorpion alarm, please help me confirm.

Do you think it is worth contacting them to see how much a fob would cost? Is there any other way of getting a fob for my alarm ?

I am not interested in fitting an alternative alarm as I have had the car 7 years and not even covered 3000miles. She lives in my garage and gets a month or two outting a year.

The black box in engine bay has following writing 998 VAG MPT 1340

Thanks

Hi guys,

As it says above I need some assitance to identify my alarm and to see if I can get a fob or two for it. After doing some research on the forum it seems to me that I have a scorpion alarm, please help me confirm.

Do you think it is worth contacting them to see how much a fob would cost? Is there any other way of getting a fob for my alarm ?

I am not interested in fitting an alternative alarm as I have had the car 7 years and not even covered 3000miles. She lives in my garage and gets a month or two outting a year.

The black box in engine bay has following writing 998 VAG MPT 1340

Thanks

it looks a bit like my laserline.... whats the fob look like

Looks like a Scorpion unit. Probably Dealer fitted when the car was new.

To be honest. If you don't have the fobs and the car still drives. It's likely the alarm has been disconnected or bypassed somewhere. I would take it to a good Autospark and have the Scorpion completely removed and think about fitting a Toad Ai606 or something similar.

I had a similar job done last year by John at Coventry In Car Services. I can't recommend his work highly enough. Really did a very nice job of the wiring, which was a total mess. Took his time (9 hours solid). Installed a new Ai606 and charged me less than £300. All certified and warrantied by Toad.

Old alarms are just a disaster, don't waste time on it.

Edited by MikeVR6

Thanks Mike.

To be honest I only thought to enquire as the alarm is already installed. I have never had the need to use it. The car is garaged every night and only gets to do about 300-400 miles a year so probably just leave it as is.

I have half a mind to sell the car as I said earlier she has covered about 2,800 miles in 7years. Part of me wants to keep her though. Totally unmolested completely standard, defo a true classic car of the future.

If that is indeed the original VAG / dealer fit alarm system, if you don't have original fobs for it, you're out of luck. I spoke to various people including VW and the original manufacturer about coding new fobs for my 2.0 16v which had the original system and they were all absolutely hopeless - basically would need equipment to recode the fobs that they've all long since thrown away :(

Thanks Mike.

To be honest I only thought to enquire as the alarm is already installed. I have never had the need to use it. The car is garaged every night and only gets to do about 300-400 miles a year so probably just leave it as is.

I have half a mind to sell the car as I said earlier she has covered about 2,800 miles in 7years. Part of me wants to keep her though. Totally unmolested completely standard, defo a true classic car of the future.

Sounds like you've no need of an alarm. Although remote central locking and window/sunroof closure are nice. Means you can fit Passat de-locked door handles too.

If it were me, I'd still get the old alarm removed cleanly. Only because I'm paranoid about car electrics having had an Audi Coupé go up in flames a good few years ago.

Might treat myself to a new alarm. Still got the original and 2 of the 3 fobs have broken and the third looks pretty ropey now.

I would go for a new alarm but my car lives under a cover in my garage for 11months of the year. Had her for just over 7years and no electrical problems at all (fingers crossed)