Sign in to follow this  
Storm

Technical Help Needed

I am going to try to swap the engines over this week coming. The problem I have is that the donor car I have is a 16V that was converted with a highline VR6 engine and possibly gearbox. Thats all the info I have. The engine is going into my Storm

I dont know if the subframes were changed, anyone know how to distinguish between the two whilst on the car? The car has vibra technics mounts so I am hoping its a VR6 subframe and I can use these again.

Anyone know what tools I need to disconnet the drive shafts and how to do this?

As you can probably tell I am a complete novice, but I was a good chippy am hoping that I can turn my hand to this.

Have a look at the wishbones. If the ARB drop links are right at the end of the wishbone, they're MK3 plus ones, but the subframes are very similar. If not the same AFAIK.

To take the drive shafts off, you need an 8mm spline tool. A long one. I posted a pic of it on the forum somewhere.

Replace the 12 driveshaft bolts as they are stretch ones.

Then of course you clear everything out of the way, remove the front pipe nuts, coolant hoses, looms, mounts, slave cylinder, fuel lines, etc etc and hoik the fella out!

Kev,

Thanks for that, Got an engine hoist lined up, so I'm going to pull it straight out. If I leave all the OBD1 wiring in place and just replace the engine and box from the OBD2 car will this be okay any pointers any gotchas

My Bentley CD not working because of the jrew.exe issue. Anyway all engine mounts are free of bolts. nearly all of the piping is off and just a couple of electrical connections to go. Ive got the offside drive shaft bolts off, nearside look like a mare to get to! Once these bolts are off should the shaft drop off, or do I have to do anything to the strut to get the shaft off?

Thanks in advance.

you may find that you have to pop the lower ball joint from the strut to allow the strut to swing (with the driveshaft) out of the way enough to clear the gearbox flanges sufficiently to get the whole lot out... 8)

Not a huge task, but a pain in the ass if you don't know! ;) :roll:

Thanks Henny, I found my old Golf II manual, am I right in that most of it is the same?

....also after undoing the 4 bolts holding the fans in and undoing the cable what next to get it out?

yeah, it's basically a slight cross between Passat and Golf... following the Golf manual as a rule of thumb probably isn't too bad an idea, but don't take it for gospel! ;) 8)

Dunno about the fans though, my G60 only has the one fan... (and that's an aftermarket one now! ;) )

So much for getting it done in a weekend :wink: . Anyway progress is okay, just get stuck every now and then. I take 20 times longer as its the 1st time (no cheap shots please). I have a some questions :?: :

1. I took the a/c pump of the old motor today and the pulley has a load of rust scabs on it as well as the PAS pump pulley. What do I do, clean it with solvol, 1200 wet and dry or leave it?

2. Anyone know the service life of the ribbed belt?

3. How on earth do you undo the nuts for the exhaust down pipe, the ones tucked away underneath?

Cheers fella's.

Cheers fella's.

i take it you mean the serpentine belt?????....if so a VW head tech told me these should get replaced at 60k miles or if showing signs of wear like cracking etc :wink: and they cost approx £25-ish

Cheers fella's.

i take it you mean the serpentine belt?????....if so a VW head tech told me these should get replaced at 60k miles or if showing signs of wear like cracking etc :wink: and they cost approx £25-ish

Thanks. I need a new one then.

3. How on earth do you undo the nuts for the exhaust down pipe, the ones tucked away underneath?

A long extension on your ratchet, a wiggle-woggle joint (universal joint) and plenty of swearing is how I've always done it... ;) I think it was Bananaman who said that you can take off the big rubber block at the back of the engine bay by undoing the 2 bolts, and that eases access somewhat, but I've not tried that...

Good luck! 8)

Shifter mechs are out, Ive got the master Cylinder out of my donor and some more questions:

1. As the previous owner had Wilwoods I'm hoping the master cylinder is the 23.1MM VR version. The numbers it has on it are: 10.6123-0680.30 and 0032006800001802. The existing master on my auto wears: 10.6123-0680.30 and 0032006800012020. Anyone got any ideas? Can anyone lift their bonnet and have a quick look for me?

2. I am getting worried about the headless steering column bolts, how do you get them out with the dash in situ. Do I need a dremmel type tool?

3. What is the best way to drain the fluid for a master cylinder swap?

Cheers.

1. dunno should have the bore size on it

2. hammer and a sharp chisel to tap it round, once stared you can use pliers

3. meat baster from the kitchen draw or £150 from tesco's

No worries Stuart. The auto has the same master cylinder as the manual, so I was barking up the wrong tree, I dont need to touch the brakes at all. Full progress report to come.