Sign in to follow this  
Fingers

throttle cable

Guys,

How taught should the throttle cable be?

I noticed last time I was filling up the water resevoir, that the throttle cable is quite slack , there is about a cm of travel it you pull it between where it comes out of the cover and the cam.

Is this OK, and if not how do you tighten it? I guess it just means I will not get a top speed, as I will run out of cable to pull!

I presume you slacken off the bolt at the end, and pull a bit more through, but the bolt has a yellow paint over it. Which is what made me think to ask. It is as if it has be set and marked very specifically.

there is a clip on the outside of the throttlecable just where it goes throught the bracket before it connects to the throttlebody. You'll see that there are quite a few notches in the cable guide for this clip to sit in... Simply pull the clip off, pull the cable guide back through the bracket until the cable is almost tight and then put the clip in the groove closest to the bracket again...

Make sure that you press the throttle (with the engine off!) a few times and then check that it is returning to it's end stop on the throttle body and is still pressing the idle switch on the body itself. Also get a mate to press the pedal and see if it gets to full throttle too... 8)

Good luck! 8)

fingers, if you do tighten it up, could i ask that you post a few pics of what you did? mines slack too and a step by step guide would go down a treat :)

Yep,

I saw the clip adjuster ( I should have said in my post) it is already at the end of its adjustment. Does that make things much harder? :cry:

If it's already on the end stop, it's stretched and that means new cable time... Good news is that they're only around £15 and will probably improve the feel of the car's throttle too... 8)

Why did I know that this was not going to be as simple as it should be! :|

how do you do the whole cable, is it easy or is it a pain in the arse and worth taking to let a garage do it? Presumably you have to feed it all the way back to the pedel? :(

by re-positioning the throttle guide clip...does that not alter idle revs? it did on my polo mk4 and i seem to have a slack too that my mate noticed...and commented saying "that can't be good?"

Will the car not idle higher if the clip is moved more to make it tighter?

Fingers, replaceing the throttle cable isn't that difficult... I did one on my first 16V corrado outside the dealer in about 25 mins after being towed there by the AA when it let go on the way to work one morning! :lol:

It's a little fiddly to do the pedal end, but nothing horrendous.... 8) Oh, the other thing you may want to do is to change the rubber bush in the pedal which the cable clips through... they go soggy over time and can let the cable fall out... :roll:

dubbprince, as long as you make sure that the throttle lever itself doesn't move when you re-tension the cable, there is no way it can change the revs... the only way that the idle can be altered is if you overtension the cable so it's always pulling the throttle open slightly... 8)

sounds like you're counting the minutes there, dubbprince! ;) :lol:

mate you dont know the half of it....i wanna go wash the car and go see my missus...theres a huge clock on the wall in front of me...i work for premier lodge, no one wants a booking!! ring us on 08702 01 02 03. (free plug :oops: )

Rooms start at £38.. 8)

Thanks guys,

I'll get the cable, and let you know how I get on. I may even be able to post some photies.

i have put a new cable on mine and the clip is still on the end notch seems to work fine though.