southerner88

OBD1 and OBD2 engine switch - PLEASE HELP COMPLETELY CONFUSED - post #7

Hi all,

Im swapping from a obd1 2.9 vr6 engine to a OBD2 2,8 vr6 from a mk3 golf. Ive got the fusebox, full loom and ECU for both engines, what will be the best way to to get the new engine running? Splice the 2 looms together, just run the OBD2 loom or will the OBD1 loom be able to run the OBD2 engine? The new ECU is chipped so will need to be able to use that also...

The OBD2 engine is tuned with turbo etc so want to make sure I do this properly, but would like any help about the best way to do it...

thanks in advance

Edited by southerner88

cheers Rob,

Is that the Definitive 24v into a vr thread? Without sounding like a complete novice, if mine is OBD2 does that mean it is a 24v?

I'll explain as best as I possibly can what Ive got and whats been done...Ive got an OBD1 in my rado which I am swapping for a turbo'd OBD2 engine from a mk3 Golf. The engines have been sapped over, and im trying to work out the looms from the fusebox to the engine. Ive been through the how to fit thread but have got stuck as some of the original loom ffrom the mk3 has also been removed... so this is where im at and what ive heard...

OBD1 loom from the fusebox into the bay has been removed, OBD2 loom from golf has been cut apart following the guide (I am not at all confident Ive done it right) so what ive heard is that you can use the OBD1 loom to run the the OBD2 engine and OBD2 ECU as long as the inlet manifold and throttle body get swapped back from the OBD1 engine? does that make sense? and is it right? Is it that simple??

I'll explain as best as I possibly can what Ive got and whats been done...Ive got an OBD1 in my rado which I am swapping for a turbo'd OBD2 engine from a mk3 Golf. The engines have been sapped over, and im trying to work out the looms from the fusebox to the engine. Ive been through the how to fit thread but have got stuck as some of the original loom ffrom the mk3 has also been removed... so this is where im at and what ive heard...

OBD1 loom from the fuse box into the bay has been removed, OBD2 loom from golf has been cut apart following the guide (I am not at all confident Ive done it right) so what ive heard is that you can use the OBD1 loom to run the OBD2 engine and OBD2 ECU as long as the inlet manifold and throttle body get swapped back from the OBD1 engine? does that make sense? and is it right? Is it that simple??

If you are going to use the OBD2 ECU, you need to use the OBD2;

throttle body,

manifold,

engine loom,

harness from Fuse Box to ECU and front engine harness.

I'm just writing up a mini-guide to how I adapted the harness, will post here later.

OK thanks for that, the good news is that I have all of those bits, just I'm not too sure with the alterations I've made to my loom from the fusebox...would be great to see what you've done with yours...

OK thanks for that, the good news is that I have all of those bits, just I'm not too sure with the alterations I've made to my loom from the fusebox...would be great to see what you've done with yours...

No probs, It's going to take a couple of days to write up from my notes. If anything needed has been chopped, I'm sure it can be replaced.