RPoul

Fuse 15 blowing

Hi my fuse #15 keeps blowing after 5-10 mins of driving. I've put a volt meter across it showing up 12v passing through which I'm guessing is a bit high!?

I've checked the wiring in the engine bay (PCV heater, idle control etc) and cant see anything a miss, trapped or melted.

Looking at other threads where the same fuse has been blowing owners have been complaining about the car not starting or starting up then dying. This hasn't been the case with mine which seems to be running fine (maybe idle revs drop a bit low sometimes). Just a bit worried that this is causing damage that I cant see now and will develop into a major problem later on!

So before I take the dash out any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think fuse 15 is the spoiler motor , does the spoiler work manually off the button? Try replacing the fuse and operate the switch.

Its a 92 vr6. Spoiler comes up as normal and can hear the water pump working before starting the engine.

Also took the ISV out checked the wiring and gave it a good clean. Couldnt see anything that would be causing it to blow

Hmmm, I've not got a manual for a 92 VR... do you have the instruction manual?

Is it a 10 amp? maybe fit a 15 and see if that blows - might indicate if it's a short or just a motor starting to struggle and draw more current.

Yeah have looked up what the fuse is for (electronic ignition, idle stabiliser, deceleration fuel shut off)I've checked the idle stabiliser wiring but not the others as I'm not entirely sure of where I should be looking. Its a 10 amp and have tried larger amp fuses and they blow too. Looking at what the fuse regulates the current to the car shouldnt start!

No nothing stops working as far as I know! I have done a search and people have generally said the car just doesn't start and don't give an explanation for it. I've take the fuse out and the spoiler still works.

I think this fuse is for the radiator after fan fuse.

Get the car upto temp, and make sure the fans kick in as normal. With the fans on switch off the engine, and make sure the fans are still running.

There is probably a better way of testing the after run of the fan, by jumpering the sender unit.

Ha yeah also ran all the tests on the fan by bridging the thermo switches. Fan does kick in, after runs and switches off as normal even without the fuse in. Nothing seems to switch off but the car does run a little rough and by the smell of the exhaust a bit rich. Its driving me nuts!

It only blows 2-5mins into driving and doesn't blow if the car is just left idling which I don't get. Maybe something to do with ECU or fuel management? Or damaged cable that touches metal when moving about?