Hawkesybaby

Newbie from Tamowrth

Hi all!

Thought I would jump straight in here! Purchased my very first corrado yesterday! I am now the proud owner of a 2.9 VR6 :)!

I have had NUMEROUS VW's over the years ive lost count with how many I have owned!

I have always wanted a rado since I saw one when I 15 years old, finally got to a point where I dont need a 'daily' (company van coming) and also im a little bit older (cheap insurance) so i thought what the hell and treated myself.

its a 1993 L reg Aqua Blue VR6 with heated leather and the luxurious Air Con (which doesnt work.... ahem) it has 120K on the clock fully serviced and 2 folders full of history. Its seen some action put it that way!!!

I will get some photos on asap when i can get them sorted.

Theres a few little things that need doing but I got it for a good price and wanted summat to have a tinker with anyway....

top of the list is Brakes.... looking at pads, discs, braided hoses and some dot 5.1 fluid? Any suggestions????

needs a good service, maybe timing chain, air con sorted and then suspension and wheels/tyres

its only done about 3000 miles in the last couple of years so needs some tlc

So yeah... Hi people! :afro:

Welcome aboard! Fairly local to me too (I'm over in Coventry). Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing some pictures!

Jim I work in Canley just next to Thor garage if you've ever heard of that?

Dragon is that matt at dubunit by any chance? Ive been going there for years probs met you before haha

will get photos etc on tonight

already a few niggly bits coming in.... worrying tappet noise started any ideas? Doing a poo if im honest!

worrying tappet noise started any ideas? Doing a poo if im honest!

Welcome, Aqua is one of my favourite colours. The VR6 is a noisey ticky tappety engine when compared to others.

Jim I work in Canley just next to Thor garage if you've ever heard of that?

Dragon is that matt at dubunit by any chance? Ive been going there for years probs met you before haha

will get photos etc on tonight

already a few niggly bits coming in.... worrying tappet noise started any ideas? Doing a poo if im honest!

A local! I work at the university just round the corner :) Will keep an eye out for your Corrado!

Lol should have noticed your user name Dan

Who are you then lol?

Thanks for the welcome....

coullstar thanks for the input but im sure it isnt meant to be THAT tappetty haha, ive just searched and found an interesting thread that said 10w60 oil helped with a very similar problem so will try that!

Im up on curriera close ind est so really close probably hear you comin so I'll wave out the window lol

Don't just dive into oil changes - it might be worth establishing where the noise is coming from in the engine. It could just be tappets, but it could be other things.

Is the noise there as soon as you start the engine? Does it go away as the engine warms up? Does the noise increase in frequency in time with engine revs?

Who are you then ?

Steve .We have an aqua blue and a tornado red corrado , my misses Sheila usually makes the teas and coffees when were at the unit . Used to help run mdc too a while ago.

Mines got a tappetty sound when cold Matt said not to worry about it but if your unsure just nip down and see him so he can have a listen

Don't just dive into oil changes - it might be worth establishing where the noise is coming from in the engine. It could just be tappets, but it could be other things.

Is the noise there as soon as you start the engine? Does it go away as the engine warms up? Does the noise increase in frequency in time with engine revs?

Its from cold and warm,cant hear on tick over but when revs get higher noise gets faster/louder etc

yeah ive met you and sheila steve a few times haha!

Could be the infamous VR6 timing chains.. as you may or may not know the VR6 engine doesn't have a cam / timing belt but instead has timing chains. There is no fixed interval for replacing these but beyond about 100,000 miles the chains wear through the tensioners and a side effect is that these start to get noisy and can (if you're unlucky) lead to engine failure if left too long. Not trying to scare you of course!

Could be the infamous VR6 timing chains.. as you may or may not know the VR6 engine doesn't have a cam / timing belt but instead has timing chains. There is no fixed interval for replacing these but beyond about 100,000 miles the chains wear through the tensioners and a side effect is that these start to get noisy and can (if you're unlucky) lead to engine failure if left too long. Not trying to scare you of course!

It has crossed my mind iy may be a timing belt... are these expensive/labour intensive to do as I have budgeted some for possibly doing it anyway? Friday luncg time 12ish is probs best as im at training course tommora. Pm me dude

As I say, timing chains. Looking at about £900-£1000 all in to get the chains done (as clutch is usually done at the same time).

It's not that bad really over the lifetime of the car. It will only ever need doing once. Cars with cambelts need them doing every few years.

Quiet at idle but then rattle at a couple of thousand revs does sound like chains though. But it may not be so don't panic quite yet. Even if it is then it's not too bad in the overall scheme of things.

Tried some 10w60 oil today and its made little to no difference.....

looks like it could be timing chain then!

Ive recorded my engine to possibly upload onto here... never know someone might hear summat haha

UPDATE!!!!!

I took it to my local vag guy and he said there is no slap on start up and there is a rhythm to the noise which he said doesnt really sound like a timing chain.... checked the oil and it was pish thin....

i changed out the oil for some 10w60 and replaced the oil filter and there was no difference :(...

car was stood yesterday and i went out today and drive for about 10 mins to NO NOISE at all... But... as the car got up to max temp the noise started to come back.... then it stopped after being stood for half hour whilst i was shopping and then about a mile down the road it came back.....

WTF guys?!?

oil pump??? or summat else???

I had a good listen around the engine and it isnt manifold.... it sounds like its coming from the top left hand side of the engine where that flat surface is above where all the belts are etc

HELP!!!