VR6 Lee

Thrust bearing

When I start my car in the morning I can hear a noise from the engine area, I press the clutch down and it goes away, speaking with my bro he says this is the clutch thrust bearing which needs regressing... Is this a big job.. The noise is annoying me.

It's a big job yes. Gearbox off.

These are cartridge type bearings from memory and not simple to regrease. But then a new bearing is less than a tenner.

If it drives OK apart from the noise, then I'd be tempted to just put up with it. If you do charge the bearing, then it's best to change the clutch as well seeing as you're in there.

When? The release bearing goes between the clutch fork and the clutch plate and should of been replaced at the same time.

The trouble is that from new they had loads of grease on when installed the new ones come with none or very little which causes the problem

Seems to be a common problem for VR's getting new clutches. I've known loads that do it, mine included. You do sort of learn to live with the noise to be honest - especially given how much effort will be required to correct it!

I had a very annoying chirping noise after the work at stealth, which included new valeo clutch & release bearing (vince also fitted new clutch arm & a couple of other things whilst he was in there)

vince replaced the new clutch with another & the chirping remained. vince logged a claim with valeo but to stop me having to wait for them to process it he then tried a new valeo clutch plate but with an LUK release bearing - chirping remained grrrr!

vince wasnt totally convinced it was the release bearing & thus he checked my master & slave clutch cylinders - both tested ok but he made a small adjustment to reduce the travel of the clutch pedal by about 10mm (as if you dip the clutch a small amount the chirping stopped) but this too ended up with a still chirping clutch......very annoying

finally after several months of vince chasing valeo he ended up getting a valeo rep in as they were rejecting the claim & vince proved the point to him - valeo in the end agreed the release bearing was at fault & issued him with a 'revised' bearing

interestingly vince found that although the 1st clutch was a valeo boxed product upon inspection the release bearing itself was not valeo but one of their subsidiaries. once valeo had issued vince with the revised bearing direct from themselves it was fitted & guess what....no chirping :D

good luck with yours - i hope the info helps

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

What sort of prices am I looking at to sort it

gearbox off + new clutch kit + labour of chosen establishment

I took the opportunity to renew the gearbox mounts whilst the box was off too ;)

my main point if you order a valeo clutch would be to check the release bearing is genuine valeo manufactured one & not from one of their subsidiaries [as per my previous post]

Mine is the same, I bought my VR last year, according to the service history it had a new clutch fitted and i get the metallic noise. Press the clutch pedal a small amount and it goes away.

Might be worth people changing the bearing sleeve part that it sits on and also the clutch fork and stop while the box is off.

Might be worth people changing the bearing sleeve part that it sits on and also the clutch fork and stop while the box is off.

good advice supercharged! vince at stealth said he took advantage of the box being off & replaced a few other parts as he had them on the but i cant recall exactly what he said they were