Sign in to follow this  
ghee60

Mocal Oil Cooler

Im gonna be ordering an oil cooler from think automotive for my g60, just a quick question, is the adaptor plate for the sandwish filter the same as the mk2 golf one?

Yes, the sandwich plate you require is the same. Be sure to purchase the plate with stat to prevent over cooling the oil.

If you want to save a few quid what you can do is visit your local breakers and nab the plate off of dam near any turbo volvo. They have a 180 deg thermostat built in. The last one that i picked up i think they charged $5 US, the time before it was just a pocket item. (gotta get the gate fee back somehow :) ) you'll need 2 m16x1.5 to AN thread adaptors if you go that route though.

You may want to get the stock VAG oil-water bypass pipes from VAG to ommit the OE cooler matrix.

90degrees Celcius will do you nicely.... (that's what I've got in mine anyway.... ;) )

don't forget the pipes from the sandwich plate to the oil cooler! :crazyeyes: :lol:

this is starting to sound expensive, like most things on a corrado

so list me everything im gonna need then

Complete list:

1x sandwich plate with 90degree thermostat

1x Oil cooler (how ever many row you want, mine's a 19 row)

2x pipes to connect plate to cooler

2x VAG rubber water pipes to remove the original oil cooler plumbing

You'll probably also need a couple of rubber mounts to mount the cooler to the car, and it's worth doing an oil change at the same time seeing as the oil filter's gotta come off anyway...

Have a word with 16VG60 about the complete kit... I got mine from him (John of JMR) and it was around £120 all in...

It's made one hell of a difference to my oil temps dropping them by an average of 15 to 20 degrees! :crazyeyes: doesn't go above 105 now... 8)

lol, so no problem with coolant or oil loss as you change the pipes over then! :lol: 8)

nope, shouldnt have any problems there, engine has only gotta last until I can get myself a bbm charger and a 20v to bolt it to, thats the ultimate plan, but I thought I might as well give it a rebuild that way id have a nice G60 lump sitting waiting to be slotted into either a Mk1 Golf or Scirocco

that's where I planned to fit mine until I remembered I'd got a full front mount intercooler... :oops:

Mine now lives where the old intercooler used to be... 8) (same sized one though, from JMR too! ;) )

currently looking at breakers for a sprinter intercooler so i may have to move mine

them are BIIIIGGGGG intercoolers... :

If you need to move it, you'll have to get some longer oil pipes (although you've probably already thought about that! ;) )