Sign in to follow this  
Jurgen TDI

How about this?

How about this?

Kleintjeonderdekap.jpg

185 bhp, 350NM torque (for so far)

Used: VW ARL TDI engine, ex G60 corrado and ex Golf IV TDI 150bhp.

(and more.... http://www.corrado-tdi.tk , but the site is down for some reason).

Future: 210bhp, 420NM torque, seat or golf suspention/brakes.

'puhr drehmoment' ... powerrrrr!

Jurgen TDI,

Nice install :D , I'm currently doing the same except I'm only using the 130 bhp TDI engine.

It's in and running, I just have to do the drive shafts and some plumbing for the Intercooler etc.

What did you use for the drive shafts? Did you use the MkIV Engine mounts?

I'm hoping to get it chipped up to run the same bhp as a standard G60, but with loads more torque :evil: .

Cheers

AndyC

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum :)

Care to post and let us know a little bit more about your Corrado? My 16v was recently sold in Birmingham and I have yet to find the purchaser on any of the forums! :)

Cheers Jim,

My Corrado was a 1992 G60 in Burgendy Pearl Metallic, I bought it in Feb 2001 to be used as my every day car (My weekend/special occaision car is an Audi ur quattro - lucky me). When I bought the corrado it had 130k miles on the clock, but since I work in Birmingham but live in Burton it soon had 165k. The engine was still running strong but occaisionally the oil light would stay on for a while from cold.

The body work is a bit tatty but once I sort the drive out I'll get that sorted.

I thought about doing a complete engine and gearbox rebuild, but I also had the hair brained idea of shoving a diesel in to help me with the mileage, plus just think of all that torque in a small corrado!!!! I was able to get hold of the front end of a MkIV golf GT TDI 130bhp version with 6 speed gearbox - it only has 11k miles on it.

The engine and gearbox is now completely fitted and wired up along with the Instrument Cluster. The engine fits a treat, I used the MkIV engine mounts and welded new sections into the front members and subframe, the downpipe even matches the diameter of the Milltek Stainless Exhaust. The wiring was a great challenge, I've integrated the Golf's fuse and relay boxes into the Corrado loom. All joints are soldered and heat shrinked then taped - even if I say so myself it looks as if it was designed for the car.

I can't wait to get it on the road - the PD TDI engines pull like trains in Golfs - so I wondering what it will go like in the lighter and tighter corrado. All I've left to do is:

1. Either fabricate some drive shafts from G60/Golf TDI shafts or purchase specials

2. Install the Intercooler from the quattro (larger/huge one being installed in quattro)

3. Pipe Intercooler to turbo and inlet manifold

4. Find somewhere to locate the Air Filter, Washer Bottle

5. Tidy up Instrument Cluster Bezel

6. Sort out Fuel Gauge Sender.

Hope this is enough for you, I'm glad its not your corrado as I'm sure you wouldn't be happy someone ruining your ex-pride and joy.

PS. I've got a Koni Suspension Kit fitted and it is the worst drive I've ever experienced - has anyone else tried this setup?

PPS. The G60 engine will soon be up for sale (supercharger rebuilt by C&R 10k miles ago). I can sell the engine the way it is or get it rebuilt. If anyone is interested please give me an e-mail.

Cheers

AndyC

Andy,

Its a fascinating setup. I hadn't even heard of Diesel engines being transplanted into Corrado's up until a few weeks ago, and now we have two such examples on the forum. Kinda neat.

It certainly is an excellent idea.. economy of a diesel, but with excellent torque and superb tuning opportunities (A rechip alone on a Turbo Diesel unit usually weilds an additional 25-30BHP).

I'd just love to see the face of the VW dealer if you took one in for a checkup with a diesel lump in it :D

If you need some advice or any info on the work you are doing on this transplant (even though it looks like you have cracked it pretty much) the guys from PD Motorsport on this forum are a very knowledgable bunch of chaps and have done plenty of work for very satisfied customers on here.

Good luck.. I can't wait to see pics of it when its all done :)

Jurgen TDI,

Nice install :D , I'm currently doing the same except I'm only using the 130 bhp TDI engine.

It's in and running, I just have to do the drive shafts and some plumbing for the Intercooler etc.

What did you use for the drive shafts? Did you use the MkIV Engine mounts?

I'm hoping to get it chipped up to run the same bhp as a standard G60, but with loads more torque :evil: .

Cheers

AndyC

Nice work! 8) hope to see some pictures!

All suspention, gear and stuff are original G60. (except the gearbox, it's a passat 110bhp now)

Did you use the 6-gearbox of that golf? How did you get it fit!?

Jurgen,

Yes I've used the 6 speed gearbox from the golf. It was pretty easy since I used the mk4 engine mounts. I welded in mounting points to the two chassis legs that come out to the front bumper cross member. There's just enough room to fit the engine and gearbox between the two legs.

The only difficulty is getting drive shafts since the inner CV's of the Golf are diameter 125mm and the G60 100mm. They also have to be different lengths due to the wider diff.

pretty nice,

Mine is due to change in some weeks too.

Like I heared, the CV's shouldn't be a problem, they're exchangeable to others.

The shafts I gonna use are custom-made, there is no other way due to the lenght indeed.

I've spoken a few guys that have a 1.8T and a audi S3 suspention, they all have the 6-speed gearbox and own drive shafts.

I hope It's gonna work, I've seen loads of torque (450NM) on them axeles and they broke-down... :cry:

further, I've seen that you have the second uniqe corrado holding the PD engine.

No-one else has done that before, not even the Germans, I heared! (they all stuck to 110bhp engines) :lol:

400nm torque?????? sounds interesting! what's the latest news? I'm interested in doing this with my 16v, what are the costs involved?

Andy.

Costs!!! - Astronomical (Currently standing around £3,000)

Wiring- A nightmare

Mechanical Fitting - tight

Loads of cutting/welding

Loads of fabrication

But well worth it!!!

I do about 30,000 miles/year, I was thinking about selling the C and getting a Mk3 Golf TDI but the prices for a low mileage Golf TDI are too expensive and they are ugly - I love the look of the C.

So I decided to 'have a play' and get the best of both worlds 180bhp, 380Nm 50mpg, super handling, cruise control, full diagnostics.

Torque to die for - yummmm!!

It will never be a show car or give loads of power but boy is it fun to drive!!

Guys,

Diesel in a Corrado,interesting concept and I can see the benefits...did you all know that the fastest FWD VW in the country is a Mark II Golf TDI - 5.1 0-60 and low 13 second 1/4 mile???Ahh yeah,no joke.This was settled about 2 weeks ago...

Good luck with completing the conversion C4MBY,I'm sure that if you want some help with tuning that TDI engine of yours he might be able to help.

Update:

Changes for the 6-gearbox and larger intercooler (VW LT) is due to next week!

The power will rise to 200+ bhp and torque will be around 400/420 NM. (more torque will result in broken or damaged flywheel, since it's a 2layer wheel)

Also changing the springs (KW2) will have some better performance!

Meanwhile, I've installed BREMBO frontbrakes (Seat Ibiza Cupra) and new brakes at the rear.

:D