Jim Bowen

Audi A3 TDI advice

Just got a 2005 Audi A3 TDI, its a 2.0 140ps version. Haven't driven it yet, its just sat at home.

Anyone on here got one, Am sure i've noticed them on here, should i just leave it as is? or can it be improved with a few simple mods.

Obviously i have looked at remaps, but don't want to have any problems with this car. Its already had the clutch and flywheel changed, i don't even know cambelts intervals yet or servicing.

That's the BKD engine - 2.0 16V PD. What mileage is yours on?

You do read about a lot of issues, especially with the early ones but it was also fitted to all sorts of cars across the VAG group so I think they are generally reliable and easy to get parts for. I suspect the ones you hear about are ones that aren't looked after although the Clutch / DMF and Turbo's are the weak points.

Just make sure the oil is changed regularly for the correct stuff and don't use too much supermarket fuel or any bio diesel. Let the engine idle for a couple of minutes after a long run before turning off.

Cambelt interval is 60k - don't go beyond that and make sure you use genuine parts and always change the waterpump at the same time. The Freewheel clutch pulley on the alternator is one to look out for also at the same time.

Darkside Developments is a good UK tuning company - good website for parts etc too!

Is this the engine that suffers oil pump drive failure because it drives balance shafts off the same drive?

1.9s run the oil pump at half engine speed, 2L drives the pump and balance shafts at twice engine speed using the same 6mm hex drive and the corners simply wear away?

Thanks, some good info there, its done about 55,000miles, was my dads car previously that they owned from nearly new.

He has mentioned it being a bit jumpy/misfire occasionally and the garage told him to not use supermarket fuel and gave him some diesel engine cleaner stuff to put in the engine but he didn't use it.

I have a 2005 Audi 2L TDI. for 3 years now. I have had issues with a noisy , turbo actuator making a squeaking noise when the gas pedal was pressed, very very annoying, the actuator is part of the turbo housing and is built in so can not be interchanged the whole turbo had to be renewed, this a bad design.

Had a leak on the radiator common fault apparently usually in the bottom corners so check the condition. Replaced under warranty.

Belts and all tensioners were done,and should be done at around 65 to 70 thousand i think according to my manual.

I've just had a rear ABS sensor changed £30 for part.

I did a trip to swansea last year. 500 mile round trip. returned 56 to the gallon at 70 and 80 mph.

All in all a good car just keep it serviced and you should be ok.

I great car to drive and plenty of bottom end power.