SteveyJ

VR6 Corrado not linking to scanner

Hi All. Bought a scanner this week to see if my car throws any fault codes, but it says it cant link to the scanner? Is it not suitable??

The car is a 93 VR6 with the OBD2 port in the gear level trim, I've taken the underdash tray out and see there is a terminal block with some cables terminated into a VW block, I'm guessing these are just vacant as the car doesn't run a true OBD2 system, but surely I must be able to read something?

Any ideas on why its not 'linking'

Cheers

Hello there,

which scanner did you purchase ?

It depends on which scanner it is but some don't work on a few cars.

The early Corrado's had the two diagnostic plugs,

the 2 pin black plug and the 2 pin white plug.

The later Corrado's have the one plug,

a 16 pin block connector.

I bought a scanner about 2 weeks ago and it works fine,

the one I went for is the VGATE VS450 scanner does VW and Audi cars from 1990 to around 2009 and may be later.

(It's able to comunicate to the car through the old style black and white connectors and the later 16 pin block connector)

A lot of the forum members have a laptop and run the VAG-COM data software,

which again is purely for the VW and Audi cars.

I would try your scanner on a different car just to make sure it is working ok,

other then that it may not be able to connect to your vehicle.

Most scanners won't switch on until they're connected to the cars diagnostic plug,

where as a lot of the more expensive scanners have there own battery built in,

and so will switch on with out being connected.

Hope this helps

Si

Edited by vw rule

HI Si

Thanks for reply, I only bought a one on amazon which is made by Autel called Autolink. It does plug into the 16pin plug and switches on by tries to load and states can't link', I just thought that if it had the 16 pin plug it would of worked, so maybe it only can work on newer VW's only even if my old one has the same plug?? I just fancied one to keep in the car

If people are using VAG-COM is it all the same, as you can get some really cheap ones on ebay, so if anyone has one which works on an early VR6 I would be interested to know what one you bought.

Cheers

My autel 509? wont connect to the corrado either, it does all my newer vag stuff

Just been looking on line at a few things,

and the Autel scanners work on most USA cars from 1996 onwards with the OBD2 16 pin diagnostic plug,

and from 2000 / 2001 omwards on UK cars again with the OBD2 16 pin plug.

Like Jon_VR6 has already said must be the reason why the scanners you have aren't working on your Corrado's.

Si

Edited by vw rule

OK cool, thanks for the replies, so can anyone recommend a scanner which can be used with the Corrado? I've read some bad reviews about VAG-COM cheap copies on eBay and as said before would rather keep it in the car. Was reading about VGate but want to be sure I buy one which actually works this time??!!??

Hello mate,

where abouts are you in the UK,

you can borrow / use my VGATE scanner,

just to make sure it works on your VR6,

to be honest I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm willing to drive half way to meet you,

so you can try the VGATE scanner.

I'm in Bournemouth, Dorset.

I did my research before purchasing my scanner,

read loads of reviews on different scanners,

and watched YouTube video reviews.

The one that got the best review,

was the VGATE VS450 as it states it works,

on VW and Audi cars from 1990 to 2009,

which I can confirm it works ok.

Also the VAG-COM got very good reviews,

but can have communication difficulties,

with the data link cables they use,

plus some software does and doesn't work,

with the 2.0 16v where as it normally works fine on the VR6.

I believe there are a few different software versions with VAG-COM,

your best bet is to read through the VAG-COM review and help thread.

Like I say I'm willing to drive and meet you half way so you can try my VGATE scanner, if you are possibly thinking of purchasing one.

Hope this helps

Si

Hi Si

Thanks for the kind offer to meet up, I live near Aldershot, so about an hour and half from you. I believe your 100% right, I think the scanner is just not suitable for the car since reading reviews again and me hoping even thought it states 1996 onwards VW's I was hoping the car was technically advanced maybe by a few years as it had the port, but obviously the software is not understood as too old on the car. I think I will get the VGATE one then you recommend as like you say has good reviews and obviously works on OBD1 engine VR's. One question on the old corrado does VAG-COM do anything that the Vgate doesn't?? Obviously on newer cars it would (such as lighting, door locking etc) but on our cars would it do anything extra as the cars as still very basic?

Cheers Steve

I'm in Basingstoke and have vagcom and a handheld scanner that work with the Corrado. Happy to meet somewhere to to test on your car before buying if you want to.

Its probably the baud rate of the scanner, that wont let it talk to the older cars.

Why not just buy one of those USB VAGCOM leads off ebay and run the free software from Ross-Tech, off a laptop?