Andy T

ebay VR6 silicone hose kits - Winner/GPI racing

Has anyone bought any of the cheaper eBay silicone coolant hose kits, are they any good?

I have samcos but after 5 years the top hose split, and the head to matrix hose has some pinhole leaks now. I just need these two hoses but don't really want to shell out 250 for samcos again.

on eBay 'winner racing' (chinese) sell vr6 kits for 100 quid delivered. From the photos I can see that the long small dia part of the top hose is seperate, presuming they are joined with a connector? They are listed as mk3 golf AAA/ABV engine.

Any thoughts?

Look up roose motorsport. They do a vr kit which i just took delivery of and the quality seems great. They may even offer the gb price if you mention the forum. I paid 280 ish delivered which included clips, if you dont need the clips this could save you money.

I have no idea what the winner racing stuff is like for a fact but I did plenty of research on their other cooling products and read some very mixed reviews. Plenty of people stating, as you might assume, that customer service is non existent if a problem arrises, due to distance etc. Roose are a uk firm that I had a great experience with.

I'm going to be replacing my hoses with silicon in the near future but I'm going to buy the Roose Motorsport ones. I was tempted to give the cheapo Chinese eBay ones a go, but the thought of blowing a coolant hose miles from home puts me off. There's a good chance they may be perfectly ok but for my own piece of mind I'd rather invest in known quality and a lifetime guarantee.

I had the first set of Roose hoses - they've been in since March 2012 and are just as solid now as they ever were. I've lost count of the number of split Samcos I've seen, people just seem to accept it but you shouldn't! Buy cheap and you'll be buying twice...

Stone

I can vouch for the roose motorsport kit too - they are sitting nicely under my bonnet & i was very impressed with the quality

Andy T there are pics in my build thread if you wanted to see them fitted

Samcos come with a lifetime warranty, when bought they come wiht a form to fill out and send back to register it, Might be worth goin g back to them even if you didnt as its pretty easy to tell samco hoses, they might end up replacing just the ones you need.

I have a contact i can try if you have no luck as we deal with them at work

5 years is pretty shyte for a big name like Samco. They may replace a hose if it splits under warranty, but will they replace the engine after it's seized from losing all it's coolant? I doubt it.

I had the first set of Roose hoses - they've been in since March 2012 and are just as solid now as they ever were. I've lost count of the number of split Samcos I've seen, people just seem to accept it but you shouldn't! Buy cheap and you'll be buying twice...

Stone

But you can buy three times and still be cheaper than Samco :lol:

Thanks all.

I wasn't the original purchaser of the Samco's on this car so warranty claim a no-go.

Looked at the cheap Chinese kits again, noticed possible customs charges £££.

Since I last looked Roose are now selling a 2 hose kit on ebay, exactly the ones I need, purchased job sorted. :)