Guest sam1990rhodes

Dash Swap

Guest sam1990rhodes

Guys,

Looking to get a new shape G60 in black and having a nightmare finding one!, ive found one on ebay but its early shape, never being one to turn down a challenge releastically how easy/hard would it be to swap the dash over from an old shape dash to a new shape dash? (including storks on steering wheel etc.)

any help/hints would be appreciated!.

sam.

All G60's came with the early dash, that is why your having a nightmare finding one.

I would have thought biggest challenge with the swap, would be swapping the heater controls. But then you would face the problems of having weak controls, as the later controls seem to have issues of there own.

It might be easier to buy a late car and then drop a G60 engine in it, if that's what you want.

Guest sam1990rhodes

would explain it then!.

To give you some background info, the plan is to get a G60 and swap a 20vt in to it, to then try and utilise the G60 intercooler, brakes and gearbox.

do you think it would be easier to pick up a later shape 16v and swap the brakes and gearbox from a G60 on to it? (sorry if this is becoming less interior related).

Guest sam1990rhodes

just had a look, the 1.8 16v/G60 and VR gear boxes are all 02a?

Don't know much about engine conversions.

But the standard intercooler in a G60, is just about enough for the standard car. So doubt it will much use with your conversion.

You might be better looking for a late VR6 and doing the conversion on that.

I think the brakes are the same, just that it will be 5x100 pcd for the wheels and not 4x100.

Switch gear is a doddle,dash swap isn't hard,just time consuming.Your worst problem is finding the later heater dials in gwo !

The G60 did come with the later exterior,but had the early interior, the sliding controls are far more reliable,with a backlit kit,don't look that bad IMHO,(but I'm biased)

Guest sam1990rhodes

cool thanks for the input guys, ive found an early g60 with what is promised to be bang on body work/paint in black (which is what im looking for!), ive got an AGU 20vt running the 1.816v gearbox in a 1.8 16v already, gonna swap that in to the black G60 (if I decide to buy it) and the G60 in to the red rado, then going to try and swap the dash if its as easy as you say!, its a project car so no great rush.

although i suppose its worth keeping an eye our for a late shape rado in black!.