VR6 Lee

Power steering pump

Anyone know how much a genuine one will set me back. New ones from euro car parts are £100 plus and look OK.

Last I heard they're about £280+VAT..

I've just had a cheap Q-Drive unit fitted today in fact as I couldn't stomach VW prices - still waiting for it to settle in as the PAS system was almost completely drained.

There was also a euro car parts voucher code I used - think it was LASTCHANCE30 for 30% off..

I got a quote of about £400 here in Norway recently - holding out for my Germany trip, and will buy it down there I think :)

The other q drive pas which is 9,quid more expensive, is this better?

I honestly haven't the foggiest - I reserved it online and just picked it up. I didn't inspect the other ones. I'd have gone for the other model which was more expensive but they wanted the old unit back in exchange which I didn't have so stuck with the Q-Drive.

I honestly haven't the foggiest - I reserved it online and just picked it up. I didn't inspect the other ones. I'd have gone for the other model which was more expensive but they wanted the old unit back in exchange which I didn't have so stuck with the Q-Drive.

Did you get the belt as well or did you just replace pump

No - the belt was brand new and doesn't need changing again.

Think I may get a new one as no idea if its ever been changed. You would think it would be replaced when engine got rebuilt

Changed the pump tonight. Did it as per the vortex guide and new pump still making a noise. Reservoir is at good level so no idea what's going on with it. Sounds really bad on full lock.

Any help much appreciated

Have you turned the steering lock to lock with the wheels off the ground? You need to do it a good few times to work the air out of the system.

If it does continue to make noise then it affirms that these Q drive ones are useless because mine is still making noise weeks after being fitted and we were thinking it must be something else wrong with the system, but maybe it is just the pump being ****e.

Hi Jim.

Yeah I have done all the lock to lock and took it for a 45 minute drive doing all sorts of lock to locks in tesco car park but still noisey. I'm going to take it off and bring it back to eurocar parts and say its Sh***.

Phoned eurocar parts this morning and said the pump is making a noise they said bring it back and get a refund. They have also said that they have had a few complaints about the noise. VW original part is £314 from dealership but made by a company called ZF.

Right off to take pump off again... Joke

According to my parts catalogue it should be about £200 if you exchange the old unit...?

what about the fluid? when I swapped out my engine I replaced the pas fluid for genuine vag green fluid, all seemed fine until the engine got up to temp at this point the pas fluid also heats up and thins out , then the pas pump whined like a bitch on 3 point turns and full lock, I solved this problem by using lucas power steering leak stop, pas still doesn't feel like as soft as it once was but doesn't whine anymore...

Well, I might be reading it wrong, or my parts catalogue might be out of date. No harm in asking VW though once you've taken the other one back to ECP.

The part number is the same - I think the point of the X is to signify it's exchange.