Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brown

what to do after blowing the charger?

Hello people, so i just bought my self a 92 plate G60 and on the first morning i used the car, the charger blew up!!!!!!!!!!! Bad luck? or maybe i should get used to it?

anyway have bought an almost new charger from the German E-Bay and want a bit of advice.

1. Do i need to clean out the I/C?

2. Is there any other places the broken little bits of aluminium might end up?

3. Any other suggestions of things to after a charger blows up?

Probably all old questions I know but all help much apreciated.

Yep clean the I/C out. When the charger goes, usually pieces from the scroll fragment and get past through the I/C and up in the inlet and sometimes the head.

Sorry to put a bit of a downer on things mate

RACK

you want to make sure and change your oil atleast once to try and get any flake out of your engine. i ended up with a oil pan full of flake. you can do what i eventually plan on doing: 2.0L 16v with a lysholm charger...mmmm...lots of power...

How would I know if any metal fragments have passed through into the head?

Maybe i should pull it of anyway just to be on the safe side..........

what a pain in the ass. i wanted to take it to the Volks fest at Castle Combe, I guess this'll keep me busy for weeks!!!!!

take the tube off of the throttle body and wipe your finger on the inside of the tube and take a look at it. if you see any flake on your finger or in the tube right before the throttle body, you can be pretty sure there will be some in the head/block. also through the oil lines going to/from the charger flake can pass through there as well. i would change your oil to really see.

to check for the flake in your oil, you can get a stron paper towel or something to strain the oilas its coming out. try those things. you will find out. for me, flakes were everywhere, even in my engine compartment.

and if you want to bypass it, you are going to have to get the right sized belt that will bypass the charger, you will also have to remove the tube connecting to the charger and put a cone filter on it for an intake.