GrahamU

removing track rods

I have the rack of the car at the moment and am re-painting it but I noticed when I removed the gaiters that one of the rod arms is bent.

First thought was to bend it back but then thought I should do the job properly, so following the Bentley manual, I put the rack in a vice and tried to undo the rods but so far no luck.

Is there a good way to get these undone?

am sure there is a flat section on the moving bit of steering rack, from memory i think i used a big adjustable spanner to hold the rack and then undid the rod bit with another spanner and a hammer, plusgas always helps, i also recall them being thread locked in.

am sure there is a flat section on the moving bit of steering rack, from memory i think i used a big adjustable spanner to hold the rack and then undid the rod bit with another spanner and a hammer, plusgas always helps, i also recall them being thread locked in.

There is a flat where the teeth are on one end, but when I clamped on that, then tried to undo the rod, the toothed part looked to be twisting aswell.

I think I may have to try heating it