Sign in to follow this  
MoonlightVR

Evo mag - July issue

Delivered this morning by postie - a great issue!

Lots of speed related articles like the "Fast Club 2004 - they test 9 bonkers cars on 0-100-0, high speed bowl, slalom and circuit laps. New 911 (997) write up too.

Then there's the de-restricted Merc CL65 AMG, to check it's top speed! It's got 738lb ft of torque!!!!!! :shock: Bit more than a Schrick manifold on that then :lol:

They also go along to a car meeting where there are some seriously modded motors (911T, SLs etc) doing 200+ at the Nardo race bowl.

And the highlight, my fav car of the moment, Audi RS6 Plus, written up in the driven section. They get it up to 185mph before traffic slows them down!! 8) I want! :lol:

Great read - I can't stop reading it!! :lol:

Cool, no need to read the mag now :lol:

I'm sure there was a Corrado buying guide in one of the issues of Evo. The Evo staff are with Top Gear in that they love it. Just read the Evo's "The knowledge"section on the VR6 and you'll see what I mean!

RS6.... nice. Would prefer a Merc S55 though. Quicker than the SL55 and 3 seconds faster to 100 than the RS6 :shock:

just picked it up mate, looks like i'll be reading it on the flight.

Have a good w/e mate.

Amit

:lol:

I've not told you the results of the tests though!!

I've got that Corrado buying guide in Evo - want a copy?

Fair enough on the Merc AMG front - but the RS6 Plus is even more bonkers, so might be closer matched? Either way have you heard an RS6?? Sound unbeliveable mate - even better than the AMG!!!

I've got that Corrado buying guide in Evo - want a copy?

Yes please! It was a yellow one if I remember rightly?

Fair enough on the Merc AMG front - but the RS6 Plus is even more bonkers, so might be closer matched? Either way have you heard an RS6?? Sound unbeliveable mate - even better than the AMG!!!

Yeah I've heard an RS6 burbling around town but not at high revs unfortunately.

It's a beautiful car too, immense alloys and the estate just looks way too cool to be an estate!! The RS6 is Avant only isn't it? Unlike the S4 which can be either saloon or avant? Sorry, my Audi knowledge needs refreshing I think!

The SLR engine note still gets my vote as the best I've ever heard :lol:

Evo reckon the Avant handles better too. Can't remember what the reason was. Something to do with the self-levelling rear suspension I think.

The new RS6 Plus is Avant only.

SLR does sound lovely, but the RS6 is a bit more affordable :lol:

A mate of mine is an Audi salesman. Took me out in an RS6 saloon. Obviously it's stupidly fast, but it's also incrediably civilised. One minute a sports car, next minute a refined cruiser.

But for me the sound of the engine was the highlight. Wonderfully deep bassy V8 warble, then the wistle of the twin turbos, and then like a jet in the upper rev ranges. The acceleration is just beyond belief!! A licence loser.

I WANT ONE :D

That's pretty much what Evo said when they did a group thrash...... it's deceptively fast and he said he can think of very few cars that as quick from 30 to XXX. The normal RS6 is quicker than the SL55 (but not the S55) up to 120 ish but then the Merc's huge capacity and torque reign the Audi in. The + must be insane..... not seen one yet.

Sell me all the tasty bits from your C before you buy one :wink:

K

The RS6 looks awesome too mate. If you see one in your mirror you'll get out of the way! Very wide and aggressive. Makes current BMWs (which IMO always used to have aggressive fronts) look like pussy cats!

BTW, the CL65 in this months Evo has an engine capable of throwing out 885lb/ft of torque. Trouble is AMG have yet to make a gearbox able to cope, but they're working on one!

So you'll have to make do with 738lb/ft and 612bhp for the time being :roll:

LOL.... come on Merc, sort it out. VW have a box that can handle 1000bhp and 950 odd pounds :wink:

Is that for a 4 wheel drive set up though?

Yeah, for the Veyron. Is it a slush box for RWD that Merc are struggling with? I'm sure Borg-Warner or ZF have something to cope with that??

Yeah, for the Veyron. Is it a slush box for RWD that Merc are struggling with? I'm sure Borg-Warner or ZF have something to cope with that??

Either they haven't or AMG wanna make their own?

No I don't think it's that. Merc/AMG can't make or find a box for 800+ ft/lbs period!

I remember reading about that too..... I think they've also made a CLK with a highly (read, VERY) tuned AMG V8 from the SL55. A stripped out racer by all accounts with also approaching 800 pounds of torque!!

Gotta say I think Merc have their approach spot on for performance cars - loads and loads of torque!

I'm pretty sure that all their model range toppers are out torquing the equivalents from Audi and BMW.

I think i'll have to go pick this issue up then. Rather a fan of the RS6 myself for all the same reasons as described.. such wonderful subtle looks, sedate and useable when required yet capable of loony speeds if you are feeling up for a laugh.

I doubt i'll ever even get near one in my lifetime but still.. would love to blag a test drive of one or something :)

There's only a small write up on the RS6 Plus though Jim, in the "Driven" section. Just in case you buy it only for the RS6 content! :oops:

No no.. don't worry.. I think Evo is a cracking mag anyway. The articles are superbly written and the photography is some of the best I have ever seen in a car magazine!

BTW - how can I get a copy of that Corrado buying guide off you mate? Have you scanned it in to your computer or something?

BTW - how can I get a copy of that Corrado buying guide off you mate? Have you scanned it in to your computer or something?

I think it will probably be best if I scan it in and post it up? You that be ok? Would I get into trouble with copyright???

The buying guide is part of a "cheap but good" sports car buying guide. It focusses on the Porsche 944, a TVR (forget which) and the Corrado VR6 (Satin silver).

Well if you want to scan it and email it to me, I have some spare web space for hosting it?

I shouldn't think there will be any huge problems with the legality aspect.. we already had the clip from Top Gear on the site, and we've linked a few other PDF files with Corrado reviews in the past. If they happen to find the site and get upset, we can just delete it - no harm done :)

Cool, ok Jim. As soon as I get a chance I'll scan it and mail it across. Remind me if you haven't had it in a day ot two as I'll probably forget!

No worries. I'll probably forget to remind you to be honest ;)

I'll remind Jim to remind you.

Someone want to remind me if i forget to remind Jim to remind Asim?