afterlife

steering wheel grind?

In recent weeks I've noticed a grinding noise when I operate the steering wheel. Anyone else had this? Is it just age and I have to put up with it or is there a fix? A bush, a circlip, something that needs to be lubricated?

Any ideas welcome, my initial plan is to whip the wheel off asap and make sure its all clean, could just be dirt I guess?

Often its the horn ring on the rear of the steering wheel, remove the wheel, deburr and smear with a little grease or vaselene

Yep, always keep your horn ring well vaselened :nurse:

You beat me to it! (juvenile minds think alike!)

In all seriousness though vaseline is awesome, I use it to coat coilovers!

Did u know its cosmetic benefits were explored initially because all the people working at petroleum jelly factories had mega soft hands?

I had this the other week, one little spray of WD40 with top plastic cowl removed and it had gone.

I think I'll stick to Vaseline around my ring.

My MK2 did this, the ring and its wiper are both brass, brass on brass without lubrication creates swarf, sparks from the contact area caused a small piece of brass swarf to weld itself to the wiper on the column causing the scratching noise, a light rub of the brass wiper with wet or dry paper and a smear of my chosen lubricant and all was good again.