richman711

g60 running rich

Hi guys

Ok so symtoms are,

Hesitation when pulling off ( some times )

Random loss of power while driving

Black smoke

Ive replaced:

1m vac line

Fitting 3.5 fpr

Replaced ecu complete with chip to suit stage 4 charger

New lambda

New co pot.

The only thing I have noticed just now is that I have a blowing exhaust between the head and the o2 sensor, now I know this will effect the readings but unsure if it could cause the car to run as bad as it is?

Either way im pretty fed up of g60s now

Can't help you regarding advice sorry.

My G60 which was a Lysholm charged one on a 15mile trip to work it would be just over 40mpg. If your's is only getting 17 I would be getting someone to have a look at it bud.

Any improvments disconnecting the blue temp sensor? Checked its resistances? Is the new lambda a genuine one? Failing that also check wiring to lambda.

Hi guys

Cheers for the replies.

Lol 40 mpg!!!! What I do to get even 30

Lambda is a genuine vw one from ebay (old stock I guess), ive done visual checks and found one wire to be a poor connection into the block so that wire now bypass's the block and is plugged in via spade connectors.

Im not entirely sure how to check the lambda harness correctly?

Never unplugged the BTS while running but have ohms tested it at full temp and it read 180 ( if I remember correctly)

Talking of full temp, it runs at 70-80c coolant temp and only hits 90 in traffic. Oil temp shows 100c+ so engine is hot, not sure if this is relayed to the fault?

Cheers

Oil temps are always higher on G60's so wouldn't worry bout that, blue temp sends signal to ecu, black temp goes to gauge. Try unplugging lambda to see if it improves. My lambda has been knackered for a while and been running with it disconnected with no issues. Runs a bit rich on idle but not enought to give off black smoke, soon as i reconnect lambda it idles erratic and pops and splutters.

My mfa reads around 37mpg but in reality it's around 30mpg, the're rarely accurate. Hope you get it sorted out.

Hi:)

Ah ill not worry about the oil temp then.

Im currently running with the lambda unplugged

With it unplugged the car idles poor, can be jerky at low rpm, some times hunts and puffs black or greyish smoke at idle ( its hard to tell). If the car idles for say 5 min it will throw out a cloud of black smoke when revved. Im some times seeing smoke when going WOT

If the lambda is plugged it its exactly the same except it hesitates badly when pulling off and is even more jerky at low rpm

cheers

Sounds exactly like mine when it was running rich, mine went through 20 quid of fuel just sitting on my drive trying to sort it out. Does swapping the blue and black temp sensors round make any difference. Strange one like. What bout ignition timing? Has anthing in regards to that been disturbed? Distributor, timing belt. I'm reletively new to g60's but had to rectify almost every running issue on mine since i've had it.

Hi

Ignition timing is a good shout, since owning the car ive done the the timing belt.

Now as a guide I was told to turn the dizzy so that the rotor is point just before the notch on the dizzy housing, as a general guide.

The car didn't run any different after the job but it hasn't be set correctly, guess ill have

to learn how to use a timing light lol.

Ive not tryed swapping the sensor plugs around but I can try that tomorrow

Cheers

Kyle

Mine was the same took it to John Mitchel Racing and it went from 19mpg to 41mpg. There's no one better at tuning or more knowledgeable than John who's also an absolute gentleman

Hi

Yeah ive lots of really gd things about JMR but sadly his a bit of a trek from me so ill have to get a lil bit mote desperate yet.

Im going to check the metel pipe that t's of the mani as ive noticed it jumps around alot so possibly cracked from fatigue

Cheers

Kyle

Hi again guys

Ok guys well ive just got my self a lovely gun timing light and set the timing too 6 degrees btdc mark on the flywheel and 2250 rpm, co pot is currently at 800 ( read some where that this is a gd base figure when running 68mm pulley and st4 charger)

No change:((

Still smoking badly at idle, noticed today that its black but does seem like it has a blue steak to it whats worrying:(

Kyle

Your doing the correct procedure when timing? Bts disconnected etc, reved up past 3000rpm 3 times. Is there any difference with bts disconnected? Also look at both the idle switch and WOT switch ( wide open throttle) on the throttle body are functioning correctly as problems with either will cause fueling problems. The WOT switch inparticular if stuck on will over fuel like crazy. There should be a click as you move the throttle full open. You can also check their resistances. You'll get there mate.

Done it with bts disconnected and made sure fan had kicked in at least once but didnt rev over 3k so ill have a re-check tommorow.

Runs better with bts disconnected, idle a bit better although still very rich.

both throttle switchs click when they should and ive confirmed the idle one is ok with a meter, ill check the wot switch tommorow.

The joys of running a g60 daily lol:(

Have you mixed up the ports on the back of the throttle body whilst changing the 1 meter ecu hose?

Classic symtom is belching black smoke like your car's doing.

Hi guys

Tryed the throttle switchs, both showed continuity or no continuity as operated, all seems normal there.

I havent ever removed the other vaccum line behind there but it always possible its wrong from a previous owner.

Any one know what port the 1m ecu should go on?

Cheers

Kyle

Hi

Are you 100% sure, just checked mine at theres two ports

Not quite inline

Slightly to drivers side bit at the top

Slightly to passenger side but lower ( connected to ecu )

If your correct it would appear mine is plugged up wrong.

Kyle

Ecu one deffo goes to the top one that points slightly to drivers side, other one goes into the pipework that leads to carbon cannister assembly. If your ecus plugged into that one it'll only be recieving vacuum readings so would give you your overfuelling issues.

Edit - I'm pretty sure the top one points slightly to passenger side and lower one to drivers side. I'll check mine tomorrow though.

Edited by Gti_Jamo

Hi guys

Well just been out and had a look again to find you guys are correct the vac lines are the wrong way round.

Swapped them and its running a treat!

Cheers to every one who helped:)

glad you found the issue. keep us posted with the difference in mpg and drivability.

Yeah good to see you got it sorted there is some decent people on here with good knowledge of the Corrado.