Sign in to follow this  
cheeky

Rear brake cylinder

Hi,

Changing the pads for the first time on my '91 1.8 16v, as I only bought it last last Saturday :D :D

Anyone know how to get the rear piston to retract into its housing? Used a g-cramp on the front ones with great success, but not seeming to work on the rears :x

Any quick responses would be great as it is now apart on the drive lol.

Cheers in advance.

Mate - they turn in unlike the fronts, you can get the tool with the correct adapter from Halfords etc, very hard to do without it!!

Cheers for that, would have realised how to do it if i'd read the manual a bit closer :oops:

Dave

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but the power of The Search could only find this.

Rear brake caliper retractor/rewind tool ... my local Halfords sells a "Laser" badged one, but it doesn't mention working with VWs, only Pugs etc.

Anyone know if it actually does?

I need to wind back the Mk4 rears for new pads.

Then I'll be able to see if the new discs and bearings I fitted work...

LJ

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but the power of The Search could only find this.

Rear brake caliper retractor/rewind tool ... my local Halfords sells a "Laser" badged one, but it doesn't mention working with VWs, only Pugs etc.

LJ

this will do the job:

http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=6482

LJ

this will do the job:

http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=6482

Great! Thanks :wink:

I'm about to replace rear discs and pads and have done loads of Google searches for the "VW 3272" tool but only found US manufacturers who make an equivalent... :?

1 Sealey brake wind-back tool now on order :)

Next thing is whether I need to replace the brake pad carrier bolts? Where can I get these (apart from the stealers)?

The Sealey tool did the job well - the piston was well stiff, and thinking that it might be a back-pressure thing, I removed the brake fluid reservoir cap. Not any easier to wind the piston in so I thought I'd slacken the bleed nipple, which promptly sheared off.

Grrr. :bad-words:

The piston turned out to be pretty knackered, and the nipple was a total lost cause, so will have to shell out for new caliper(s) :roll:

Just trying to decide whether or not to go the Mk 4 Golf route... Never had handbrake issues before, so not an obvious choice from experience!

Missing it already and it's been less than 48 hours since I last drove it...