Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Which one?

OK, Ive FINALLY sold my Fraud Mundao and Im deffo getting me a Corrado. Question is, what should I get. Im gonna have about £3000 to spend buying one, so which shall it be?

Bearing in mind that there are more and more VR6's on autotrader for under 3g's, is that sound worth getting? Or should I go for a G60 toy, and spruce up the charger for a VR6 killer? Or perhaps a cheapo valver and kick the krap out of the engine to have a beast :evil: ?

I dunno guys, you are the C experts, so let me know which u rekon...... :D

Dear Corrado Forum.

I have £18.92 to spend. Which colour should I paint my bathroom?

Cheers,

Matt.

Well it's like saying "which mondeo?".

You just want a corrado? They are all so different that if you'd driven them, you'd know EXACTLY which one you wanted. (Or maybe which one you wanted buy couldn't afford, so you'd find the type you might put up with..)

There's a number of comparison threads, where the differences between them are eloquently described and discussed at great length, so it really comes down to a *personal* thing. The dynamics of the forum can't tell you which one you'll want.

Hello,

I would buy the 16v or the G60 as a vr6 for 3k will probley need at least another 1k spent on it, seein as for that price will probley be a high miler needin the timing chains etc done.

Sayin that though if you can do a lot of the work yaself and its a good un, why not?

Take a test drive in all three, see which you prefer. The vr and g60's fuel economy is probley around the same as is the insurance.

i was only after some advice. I thought that was what this forum was for? Having not driven any i wouldnt know would i? I apprecitate that its all about personal taste, but i dont know what the difference is between drivng a vr and a valver is, so was looking for someone to give me some idea.

Your comments are way out of order dude. just after some help.

Crazymarcel, VR6, thnx thats the type of comments i was hopeing for.

In a nutshell (that I'm probably gonna get flamed to hell about)

For around 3K you can get a:

1) mint early 1.8 16V with reasonbly low milage

2) reasonably good G60 which will probably be in need of a charger rebuild soon

3) bit of a nail of a VR6, or a nice one with interstellar milage on it which will probably need LOTS of EXPENSIVE work doing soon...

4) ratty late 2.0 16V (these still hold their money very well... 8) )

5) reasonable 2.0 8V but be overtaken by MKII 1.6 Golf Drivers

It all comes down to what you want the car for, how many miles you intend to put on the car, and how much money you have available per month (and trust me, you'll need it every month! ;) ) to repair the car or for any modifications you want to do... 8)

As has already been said, test drive a few and see what you prefer... 8)

Mat has a good point though.

If a friend came and asked you which shirt he should buy, what would you tell him?

Try on a few and pick his favourite?

Have a look round your local area and test as many variants as possible (personally, I'd start with your least favourite and work up to your potential favourite car).

It comes down, quite simplistically as:

2.0 8v is renowned for being a bit lazy, and generally cheaper as it is seen as being less desirable.

2.0 and 1.8 16v are the next cheapest to buy, can be cheaper to run and maintain. This obviously depends though.

G60 is a bit more expensive to buy that the above 3. It is seen as the most tuneable car, but charger's can go pop and be expensive.

VR6 is probably the most expensive to buy (Storms being top-most on this list), and are generally more expensive to run/maintain. Timing chains/tensioners tend to need attention approaching 100k.

The above is *very* general, so please don't respond with, 'but my car costs less to run that x' etc.

For your money, you'll either get a decent 8v or 16v.

A pretty decent G60.

Or

A pretty tatty VR.

Search for "guide" and there is a (hopefully) useful buyers guide on here covering most models.

thnx henny, i gotta admit that Im not really looking for a vr6 as they seem way to expensive to run for what they are.

My fav does seem to be the G60, and charger rebuild aint a problem as I'll have plenty left over to get that sorted. They seem to be the easiest to tune, for reasonable amounts of cash.

VR6, maybe so, but thats still no reason to be rude to me. As far as i was concerned it was a perfectly valid question.

Fair enough, but he does come with a warning....

WARNING: the above message may contain IRONY and SARCASM

Wasn't trying to be rude, dude, just the way I come across sometimes... Sorry...

As VR6 alluded to, we get this kind of question regularly, and it almost always results in a huge thread with all the same things as the last one, so we're reluctant to get drawn into it.

As for your original question, I'd like to stick up for the humble VR6: being the best of the lot ( ;) ), it will clearly be more expensive and with more bits comes more risks of problems (timing chains costs about the same as a charger rebuild, btw, if you know the right places). But if you've never driven a 6-cylinder car before, DO SO before you make your judgement. You may find yourself deciding to save for another few months to get what you really want...

Mate...

Get a G60!!! :D

Easy to tune-up!

Lots of play!

Lots of fun!

Enjoy the supercharger world!

When the charger rebuilt comes, just talk with Darren!

You´ll be 5 stars!

Regards from Portugal! (where rados are very rare )

For 3k, the g60 gets my vote, i was in your situation 2 years ago, exsept i made the wrong choice and bought a 16v, nothin wrong with 16vs or the one i had, it just left me wanting more power.

Altough, i would prefer a vr6, but if your not willing to save up more, then go for a g60, cause its very unlikely you will get a good vr6 for 3k

Reckon for the money your'e talking about, it's gotta be a valver or G60. Reckon any VR at that price will be trouble unless you get veeeery lucky. Personally, I would prefer a mint 16v, but i'm biased! (not that mines mint though :roll: )

Anyway, hope you get something decent and put up more posts, my Avatar likes your Avatar! :lol:

as kvwloon says that sort of budget will get you a very very nice valver and a decent enough G60 :wink: .....as for a VR....forget it unless you have another £1k in reserve in case it needs some work :roll:

dr_mat, apology accepted, and i would like to apologise if i over reacted. Ive had a look thru and realise that this has gotta be the most common question ever asked in the universe.....ever...... :oops:

Anyway, ive seen a G60 near me, 124k on the clock, charger rebuilt 1k ago, 12 months MOT met.black and nowt seems to be wrong with it, for £2500. Does this sound ok? or is 124k a lot for one of these engines? I know that with the Fraud Zetec it made no difference as they last forever, but is the 8v up to going on and on, so long as its looked after?

cheers

as long as its got a good history & serviced etc I'd say it'll go on as long at the fraud crap!