spanneredmonkey

Over run fan running all the time

well I have sorted everything to do with my converted vr6 nugget, but

when the key is off the relay 31 clicks rapidly and the fan runs at low speed, when you turn the key it goes off and the fan tests and operates as advertised, even steps up speed

however you switch off then the fan runs....10 mins later still running, 10 mins later still running

is it a duff relay,(as it is clicking rapidly) or is it the yellow sensor? (which I belive controls the over run)

when i remove the relay from the carrier with the ignition off and re fit it it doesnt do anything, until the key goes on then, when the ignition is switched off it rattles again and the fan runs, Can I run with out the relay, if the fans work when the ignition is on, i just wont have over run?

as it is converted from a 2.0 16v to a vr6 i think there are bits an peices of both looms, does anyone have a diagram for that circuit from a 16v and a vr6

or if anyone in the basingstoke or aldershot area has a 31 relay i could borrow to test, as Martins VW want 39 quid plus vat for one

Does it have a fan control module next to expansion tank. Also is the auxilary water pump run on with the fan? Sounds like a similar problem my early golf vr6 had.

Welli have fixed it, so for those that search similar and want an answer, here goes

My over run circuit is from a 16v so on finding relay 31 as I don't have an FCM I found that the connection to the pump relay was cut, the second red white cable ( the other goes to the rad temp switch)

I re attached it, and tested and it worked, it appeared that the relay didn't switch as there was no switch from the ignition to let it know that it had been turned on or off so ran all the time