Hairyarse

Stereo wiring help please :)

The stereo in my C didn't work when I bought it so I've fitted a new unit I had kicking around waiting to go in my MK1 Golf. It all works ok but wont hold its memory for pre-set stations and settings after you've left the car and come back to it.

Looking at the plug wiring below, according to the stereo installation guide, the red/white wire on the left should be ignition live and the brown/red wire on the right should be permanent live. Checking with a multi meter it appears they're the other way around. I guess this is the root of my problem, but the harness all looks factory rather than bodged by someone.

So my questions are to double check - firstly does the above look/sound correct and secondly, I was going to cut these two wires and connect them to each other to swap the feeds around to the plug. In my head this should work but the brown/red wire is thinner than the other. Whilst it's taking ignition switched 12v now, will permanent 12v be an issue for the thinner wire?

I hope that all makes sense? lol Any help is appreciated as I'm no electrics whiz!

2014-09-10164113_zps7c55e78a.jpg

This solution will work perfectly, just cut both wires and change them over ....... re-connect either by soldering or by using crimp in bullet connectors. VW in their wisdom wire their radios the opposite way to everyone else. Normally the wiring loom on the back of the radio will already have push fit connectors in both feed wires so changing them over is easy.