Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

Does anyone know a good alloy wheel restorer?

Help needed please

I got a set of 16" Borbets which need to be made to look nice. they are in a quite bad way. (Mainly curbing, and poor painted surface)

Everyone i have spoken to gives me different advice.

Some say Beadblasting is better than sand, others say blasting is too harsh, and they need to be dipped in a chemical stipper etc...

i need lots of advice on this cos i can only afford to do it once, and i really dont want to get it wrong.

also need to know if anyone has had this sort of thing done, what "process" of refurbishment you had done, and how you feel about the results. And if you can recomend places that are good (or warn of places that are crap)

thanks lads.

I got mine done at Top Marques over in Stoke... £45 per wheel and a top notch job with a guarantee too... 8)

when they repainted the wheels were the letter markings still sharply visible (ie manufacturers stamp etc) or had they become softer after powdercoating?

I'm in "negotiations" with a mate who owns an anodising firm. Mainly does marine stuff for high class yachts and cruisers etc. But I'm sure once I've plied him with enough alcohol he'll do the business! I'll see if we can get a group deal if enough are interested. I'll start a new thread if/when I have more info.

when they repainted the wheels were the letter markings still sharply visible (ie manufacturers stamp etc) or had they become softer after powdercoating?

They look sharp and nice... 8) The guy has a great reputation within the trade which is how I got to know about him... I saw a set of Jag x-spokes (similar to BBSs) that he did 4 years ago, and they still look mint... 8)

I have been told Prestine are supposed to be very good.....

Yep, Pristine are superb, but not cheap :roll:

Based in Woburn Sands, Nr Milton Keynes. They used to have agents all round the country who ship the wheels over to them and then back to in around 4/5 days. Not sure if they still do??

think they did mine but the lettering on the speedlines is nowhere near as sharp as they were originally.

I bought them off someone though - any idea how much they charge at Pristine?

think they did mine but the lettering on the speedlines is nowhere near as sharp as they were originally.

I bought them off someone though - any idea how much they charge at Pristine?

The thicker lettering is inevitable as the paint layer is thicker.

Pristine charge around 55-60 quid per wheel.

yeah - I suppose it does make sense. I had just got a set of pristine refurbed wheels and went to check that they were balanced at a wheel centre in NE London and they damaged one of the rims on the balancing machine!!! Now it has to be refurbed, they will pay but I am not confident that it will match - it could l look stupid! :mad:

DEL VR6, your based in Oadby Leicestershire aren't you? I was going to take my old speedlines to http://www.perfectionalloys.co.uk who I think are based in Wigston, (not 100% sure but are in the yellow pages under 'tyre fitters'). I was recomended to them by a mate, but I got some new speedlines instead so I didn't go.

Might be worth having a talk to them anyway.

Ady

when wheels get refurbed, do they still paint them in the same colour as the manufacturers do? I.e. the pearlescent silver? I have seen some done and they are just in non-pearlescent silver and they dont look the same.

when wheels get refurbed, do they still paint them in the same colour as the manufacturers do? I.e. the pearlescent silver? I have seen some done and they are just in non-pearlescent silver and they dont look the same.

I don't think they are pearl silver to start with, just metallic silver.

As a general rule I don't thisnk these refurbing places use exactly the same colour as OE, but it's usually quite close.

yeah the ones I have seen don't have the sparkle of the oem ones. I guess you can never get them back to how they were meant to look without buying brand new rims, eh!

COMPLETELY recommend ROCHFORD TYRES in Essex. Ask for Andy.

Tel 01702 545689

They restored an already refurbed speedline that had cracked due to overthick powdercoating on a previous occasion. The lettering is now SHARP as hell and the colour perfect and I really couldnt be happier!

The price £35.95 +vat per wheel just for refurb

Add £6 for balancing and valves.

SUPERB :)

I have been told Prestine are supposed to be very good.....

Yep, Pristine are superb, but not cheap :roll:

Based in Woburn Sands, Nr Milton Keynes. They used to have agents all round the country who ship the wheels over to them and then back to in around 4/5 days. Not sure if they still do??

had wheels done from em before, defo good!!

Ok they are done.

I am well pleased with the result. Found a place called Belmont Metal Finishers, near Melton Mowbray. They do them all the time, and took about a week to do mine. The colour is the right bright shiny silver, and looks good. They charge just £30 +VAT per wheel. a steal compared to the quotes of £55 + VAT i got off all the other places.

All i need now is a set of centre caps. Anyone know where i can a set?

Bejeesssuusss... I had a real double take there when I saw that photo! :? Other than the rear lights and 5 studs, that could have been a photo of my car when I picked it up! 8)

Borbet C centercaps are available for about £5 each from Scotford (who are the official Borbet importers) Contact 'em by phone 'cos they're crap at email! ;) :roll: Tel: 01789 772409

Bejeesssuusss... I had a real double take there when I saw that photo! :? Other than the rear lights and 5 studs, that could have been a photo of my car when I picked it up! 8)

Borbet C centercaps are available for about £5 each from Scotford (who are the official Borbet importers) Contact 'em by phone 'cos they're crap at email! ;) :roll: Tel: 01789 772409

and the fact that your brake calipers are lovely and shiny and red :mrgreen: , whilst mine are all shitty and rusted :cry: ! I need to whip them off and give them the treatment.

I bought this brake caliper paint from Halfords which can stand the heat. I dont want it to look shabbo when its done, like you see some cars which look tacky. The bolts are all rusty and brown too! I think they need replacing or some caps to cover them.

PS, thanx for that number... the centre caps are on the way. Cant wait!

that's the same brake paint I used on my MKIV rear calipers... It's good stuff... nice and thick and coats really well to leave a nice finish... 8) Of course, I didn't need to paint the front Brembos! :-P :lol: