shaunje

1.8 16V Running like S**t

Hello all, I'm having bad running problems with my 1.8 16V Corrado.

When first started, it wont idle at all. Driving seems ok, but when I pull up to a junction (taking my foot off the accelerator) the engine cuts out. This is dangerous and a pain in the arse. The car is not difficult to start at all, and has always been very reliable.

After the engine has been running for a while, rather than cutting out, the RPM drops very low briefly before a correct idle speed is achieved.

I have changed the distributor cap as had one laying about and it's exactly the same still. Tried pulling the ISV out while it's running and it makes a difference so the ISV is obviously working. It's got no air leaks that I can see, all vac pipes seem to be connected.

I dont know what it could be, and would really appreciate any help I can get. I commute 30 odd miles a day and I am due to go away next month in it.

Here's a video of the car after my 16 mile drive home from work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpr-9RItyg&list=UUVLB5l5wxWmI71NG6gW7PxA

Cheers guys!

Try taking the ISV off and giving it a good clean through with carb cleaner. Don't be tempted to stick screwdrivers or such into it though.

I had the same problem on a MK2 Golf 16V years ago. Whacking the ISV with a blunt object seemed to sort it out :)

In addition:

Check for air leaks

Retune the base CO. Get a 3mm allen key (a long one) and stick it in the little hole in the metering head between the rigid pipes and the rubber boot. Turn it back and forth in 1/4 turn increments until the idle is smooth. This sets the base CO to 2%, which valvers seem to love. All should be good.

If not, suspect the thermo time switch and some other bits I've long forgotten since my valver days :)

I'll clean the ISV out tomorrow, although it is definitely working as when unplugged the engine cuts out straight away.

I've checked for air leaks on the intake and on the inlet manifold. There doesn't seem to be any vacuum leaks either which is good.

I have played with the CO too briefly, but it was set perfectly (I frequently set it up using a sniffer etc and it's always been spot on, as has the ignition timing etc). I may have another go at it, doesnt seem to make a difference though lol.

ISV cleaned, cleaned all the electrical connections for the sensors in the side of the head. Checked the intake pipe and there are no splits at all, having a look at the overrun cutoff valve now to check it's all fitted properly. also going to inspect all the vac pipes.

At the moment, it is still the same as it was :(

I had similar issues (ish) with my 2.0 16v and it was one of the temperature sensors on the side of the block that was the culprit, I replaced both and problem solved. My problem has come back sadly - worse so - but when I unplug one of the sensors it runs fine.

It maybe worth checking/replacing yours