Sign in to follow this  
nick vr6

headlight problems

have just bought 95 vr6 and having trouble with headlights. when side lights are switched on passenger side dipped beam comes on as well. when dipped beam is switched on drivers side is only side light, but when main beam is switched on all lights work. Also when rear fogs are switched on front come on too, even though there is a separate switch for front fogs

The dipped beam should come on, at a very low intensity, when the sidelights are on. It's normal. It's designed so that even if you have a bulb gone, you should still have two visible lights at the front.

And it sounds to me like your bulb has gone on the drivers side - there's two filaments in the bulb, one for dipped beam and one for main beam. Clearly the main beam one is ok, but I'll wager the dipped beam one is kaput...

Buy a new bulb. Can recommend the standard wattage, but high intensity bulbs on http://www.powerbulbs.com ..

it actually sounds like you've only got a dead DRIVERS side dipped bulb...

I'll explain my thinking as you may now think I've lost the plot! ;) :D

The Corrado has s a Dim-Dip set up on the headlamps which means that when you turn on the side lights with the ignition on, the dipped lights come on as well, although at around half brightness as well as the side light bulbs thanks to the HUGE reisistor (which has 2 yellow wires on it and is clipped onto the inner passenger side wing next to the battery ;) ).

If your drivers side dipped beam bulb has gone, then you will have the appearance of the passenger side lamp being too bright as the drivers side one will be only on the sidelamp bulb, and not using the dim-dip function on the broken bulb...

The main beam uses different elements in the main headlamp bulb, so that's not a problem and should only give you a fault if there is a short, or if there is a problem with the earth which is shared between dip and main beam per headlamp...

There's a VERY quick and easy test to prove this... ;)

With the key out of the ignition, turn on the indicators to the passenger side... if you look at your headlamps (and rears for that matter! ;) ) you'll notice that ONLY the passenger side lamps are lit... turn it the other way, only the drivers side light up... (these are your parking lights, and this is normal for a German/euro car so don't worry about that either! ;) )

If one of the front lights didn't light up (but the rear did) then the sidelamp bulb in that light is dead. If neither did, you have a dead fuse (or possibly indicator switch, but you'd have mentioned that! ;) )

If both front lights lit up, turn off the indicators, and with the ignition on, turn on your dipped lights... if one headlamp is brighter than the other, then the dipped bulb in that lamp has blown, and that's your only fault... 8)

Hope this helps... 8)

Oh, and in parts of Europe, it's illegal to have JUST your rear fog lamps on if your car has front fog lamps... this is why the switch turns on the fronts with the rears on the later cars, and why you have to turn on the fronts first on the earlier switch... 8)

*edit* Bugger, dr_mat beat me to it... :?

You did write an epic, tho, Henny. Just back from the pub? I am, couldn't be bothered to write any more...

nah, just back from being under my G60 again... :? Fitting new bits in preparation for tomorrow... :D

It did turn out a little longer than I thought it would.... :roll: