Drucey

1.8 16v ignition timing

I was wondering if someone could help me? I have just changed the whole distributor on my (kr) engine Corrado. Does anybody know the right way of setting the timing up? It's only a standard car engine wise. Just won't to get it runner nice and smooth. Does anybody know the right procedure about getting the ignition timing right? What you have to do etc and the way to do it? Thanks for any help! Am great full :-)

pretty easy if you have a timing light, even better if you have an adjustable timing light, you can do a basic setting with white paint on the aux pulley mark/cam cover arrow but it's best to use the TDC and 6 degree marks on the flywheel through the inspection hole on the top of the gearbox.

1.8 16v can be happy with anything from 6 to 9 degrees of advance depending on the fuel and engine condition and spec, best to have set on a rolling road but I'd start at factory 6 degrees and advance a little until you get knock under load/up hill/4th/5th gear and then back off a little.

You just do it warm without the rad fan blowing at idle, none of the messing about you need to do with the digifant engines.

Thanks for you reply m8 :-) I have. Brand new adjustable light on its way. Do I just set that at 6 aim it at the gearbox hole and get that diamond shape mark to line up with the mark on the gearbox? Seen some pics saying this is the 6btdc mark? And just adjust the dizzy by twisting it till this happens? Hope that makes sense?

Ok I'll give it a go when I get my gun. Just a case of twisting the dizzy to get them in line. Can then set the gases right on the mot machine my m8 uses. Hope it's this simply? Lol appreciate all the good advice! Thank you.

Yep, all you can do is set the co at idle on the kjet via the metering head Allen key hole, to tweak the fuelling at higher revs requires a rolling road and adjustment of the warm up regulator setting screw under a brass cap on the underside of the warm up regulator, crude and doesn't affect the fuelling 'map' which is essentially controlled by the metering head intake cone shape, but you can get a bit more power by providing a bit more fuel and base timing advance. My 16v has run happily at over 8 degrees base advance for example and just a tad richer than spec. You'll feel the co at idle is correct though as they just idle sweetly when it's right, someone who knows kjet well can pretty much set them by ear.

Wicked, I don't really have any big mods to my engine. Just exhaust system. All I'm after is it running nice and smooth. I'll give what you have all said a try (hopefully next week) I'll set at the factory 6 and do what you said about going up a hill in 4/5 and see how it sounds/feels. Thank you for all your help m8 :)

Also do I need to disconect any wires as I'm doing this? Seen A post on someone who took the red wire off the coil and a green wire from off the top of the gearbox. Don't know what for? But do you need to do this also? Just checking. :) thanks you.

yeah i undo the red/black under the coil

if you want try it on 8/9 degs and carefully check it ...they seem to run okay with some advance if you use good fuel

yeah i undo the red/black under the coil

if you want try it on 8/9 degs and carefully check it ...they seem to run okay with some advance if you use good fuel

I'm not sure you need to do this, I have the VAG dealers manual for the ignition system and I'll double check but I'm sure there's nothing to do before setting the timing.

here you go:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79833[/ATTACH]

Edited by davidwort