Sign in to follow this  
Domi

Strange sound from wheels/tyres?

Hi Guys,

I'm back.. pleased to report the stalling has not recurred, three weeks and counting :D ... but have noticed new potential problem. Am planning on going to see Vince at Stealth in near future to get car checked out properly anyway as I am sure you guys are right and I neen to get camber, tracking checked as there is definitely something funky going on with the front end. And having read some of the threads about people losing it on roundabouts, I am a little nervous! :?

Anyway, new sound.. hard to describe but I will have a go.. only been noticing since hot weather and with windows wide open.. and slight deviation here, but do you guys keep turning music off to listen to a) engine! (cos it does sound nice!) and b) for any untoward sounds?! Anyway...

Slowing down, downshift, then just letting car coast (foot on clutch) towards stop in traffic, there is this ratchety sound, I can only describe it as the sound when you coast on a bicycle and the chain is just ratcheting around by itself.. It sounds like it is coming from front offside wheel (windows being open)? Also noticed slight squealing coming from same wheel when going slowly in gear (on my MR2 this was diagnosed as seized caliper).

As always, being paranoid! But any suggestions welcome..

Thank you

Domi

Phew, could be almost anything, that one!

The obvious candidates are wheel bearing and as you say, possibly a caliper problem.

You'd have to jack the wheel up and see if you can find any play in it to check for bearing problems (which is always harder on the front wheels cos of the drive shaft). Plus, turn the wheel round - if it doesn't turn freely that might give you a clue.

And yeah, I know what you mean about Corrado tunes - the one under the bonnet is enough for me, 99% of the time..!