Sign in to follow this  
Krusty

Rear discs and pads

Hi folks,

I'm planning to change my rear discs and pads at the weekend, with the help of a mate, and just wanted to know if we need any special tools or anything?

He says he needed some special tools when doing his BMW so wants to know if there are any catches with the Corrado...

I reckon it should be a doddle but just in case has anyone got any pics or diagrams we can use if we get in trouble?

Any other tips?

Cheers,

Krusty

it makes it a helluva lot easier if you have the "special" tool for winding the calipers back........think its about £20 from halfords.........also if you are doing the rear discs you are as well replacing the rear bearings at the same time too :wink:

make sure you give the 8mm allen bolts a good soaking a few days before,just recently changed mine and had a nightmare getting the bolts out,you could do with buying the tool to winde the caliper piston back in,mine were seized so i bought some new calipers

The only special tools you need are strength, patience and a can of WD40. Give those caliper bolts a little spray the night before and hopefully they will move. If things are stuck, you might needs a little heat.

Take your time with the wheel bearings a little at a time.

Wow - quick replies as always.

Just got the discs and pads (from GSF), didn't think about bearings...

How much are bearings gonna set me back from the VW dealership?

Cheers guys

if its anything like mine was then you will need new caliper carrier bolts,no amount of heat would help undo them,and if its got abs then the sensor is to near to the bolt and its plastic,and the bolt holding it in will be seized aswell,i ended up having to smack a slighly smaller socket over the allen bolt the just used all my strengh to loosen it

I got a £6 G-Clamp and a small piece of wood for winding the caliper pistons back in, pretty uselful tool to have around for other jobs too!