Sign in to follow this  
G60DEE

G60 Charger - Gettin it off

Help!

Can someone tell me a number of ways to get the charger off my G60 corrado? My problem is how to stop the pulley moving when i'm trying to unbolt it, and also which bracket to take off!! the one with the allen bolts is staying on as they will just round off! once the pulley is off should the charger just lift out? your help is much appreciated, as i need my car back by the weekend !! :?

I used an adjustable spanner on the shaft of the pulley to hold it steady (it's got two flat areas for this) and then just undid the bolt.

There are 4 bolts holding the charger to the bracket (same one as the alternator) and there are 2 holding it to the bracket on the block. There is also a support bracket too near this with one bolt. Once these are undone you should be able to twist the charger up and undo the oil line which is underneath the charger. There is also another oil line, but you can remove this with the charger still installed

PS - I too also had rounded off bolts, so I hammered in a star shape headed socket into the allen hole and undid them that way (I was getting desperate after much cursing :mad: )

you a air gun on the pulley and remove the BOLT before removing the belt.

as socttgroovez says you WILL need to remove the 4 allen bolts and the 2 allen and 1 13mm bolt to remove it from the brackets holding the charger!

BECAREFUL not to over tighten the oil supply banjo bolts when putting them back on as they are quite weak!

hth

Any of you wanting assistance with works like this please contact me via our site . it would be a pleasure to help. There is a quick way to remove the charger but like all these methods the right tools and experience help alot. When dealing with socket head bolts always use the correct fitting allen tool, always tap in the allen tool into the socket head and beware VAG quality checkers use a white emulsion paint which must be cleared, if present, from inside the socket like any obstruction. This should help avoid stripped bolts. With regard to pulley removal, in the absence of an air impact gun, grip the pulley with an old drive belt and then drive out bolt with good fitting 17mm five sided half inch socket.

Woo hoo, the charger is off! Thanks to all who replied. I found that using a T-40 star key slotted straight in to the 6mm allen bolts on the block, and they cracked off no probs!! I'm sure there are accuratley made tools that fit the allen heads, but this was the quick and easy method to a 2 week brain ache of a problem!! I'll be able to do it in 5 mins next time! :D

Thanks for the tip on the banjo's Darren!