Bs6VR6

dreaded filler neck rot.

Hey guys.

Need some advice on a slight issue I've come across. Basically rebuilding from the shell up, had everything stripped, when fuel tank was dropped I found a large section of rot where the locking mechanism for the fuel cover fixes to the inner wing. Also on the bulge that takes the two screws for the top of the filler neck. Basically, I am doing away with the standard central locking as I'm having the company who are doing the wiring, wire in solenoids to all the doors boot ect, for the fuel tank I was just gunna fit a locking cap thus negating the need for the locking mechanism.

So question is this. Do I have to get this welded? Money is tight and I was hoping to sort this myself. So far I have cut out all the rot, ground back the the rest clearing away underseal until I'm back to fresh metal with various wire brushes and a drill and treated the remaining exposed surfaces with hammerite rust killer. Can I just use aluminium mesh to bridge the gap, use aluminium filler to bridge the hole, then once dry hammerite underseal/waxoyl the inner arch side and then spray underseal through the boot compartment into the wing to seal the back. The garage I'm working in is dry, would this be a permanent fix, or is it likely to keep rotting underneath, out of sight. My rudimentary knowledge of chemistry tells me if its sealed both sides, no air so no rust, or is this wrong. Advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Max,

A pic would help with diagnosis honestly though rot cut it out weld fresh metal in is alway's the best way to go. Also you are talking about using Aluminium Corrado's are Steel panel's dis-similar metals don't get on unless you are using dis-similar welding material's the way you have suggested I don't think is suitable . Cut it out and weld in fresh metal.

Edited by clumpy1

Sorry mate no pics, phones ****e and wont pick it up. Im sure you know the area im on about, it was pretty bad, by the time id cleaned it it was quite a large hole, probably as big as a plug. I just want to know if using the method ive described can ever last or if it will always lead to a return of the rot. Had a quote for about £300 quid to weld seemed a lot for what it was.

That was only one quote, has to be mobile though due to it being on jacks and only half built, maybe he just didn't want to do it, thus the silly price. Thanks for the options mate, appreciated.

No bother dude.You might find a better price if they are welding in the jom one (not a particularly hard job) Yeah like you say people quote high prices when they aren't really interested in doing it. The jom one from venom is a good price I'm actually thinking about it myself as I would be able to weld it in myself and there is a Corrado painter of some repute not far from me.

Probably exactly that mate. My only concern with them is that I don't think they would cure the initial problem as they seem to weld to the outer wing, or rear quarter panel, whereas the rust I had was on a thin inner skin linking the outer panel to the rear suspension strut, it isn't structural or even visible thus my wondering whether a diy and aesthetically unappealing repair could be a viable/permanent solution, I'm not sure I'm being very clear....