loepan

rocker cover mating faces

had my rocker cover powder coated and for some reason even tho' i taped it up, they have powder coated the inside mating face, this is the (bare metal) face you would clean and usually put down on top of the gasket with a sealant in between

probably already know the answer to this but here goes

before it was powder coated i could see the mating face probably wasn't in the best condition, some places were not totally flat and had seen better days,probably where it was over tensioned and marked up, now its been powder coated it seems to be levelled out better, can i.....just go ahead and put it straight on or should i take it off back to metal with my dremel?

get the dremel out right

Get flat piece of glass, like a mirror or a bit of plate glass, wipe the edges of the rocker cover with some of the wifes/girlfriends lipstick and rub it gently on the mirror/glass. Where the lipstick is rubbed off will show any high spots. Take appropriate action to remove the high spots. I personally use coarse valve grinding paste, smear it between the surface to be smoothed and the glass and grind the two together till you get an even surface. I've been out being literary tonight which involved red wine so I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

haha yep loud and clear....was just trying to avoid the inevitable of getting my tools out

cheers

I've been doing the grinding paste on a bit of glass (chap at work told me about it) to clean up the surfaces on my inlet manifold, its quite a nice job to do.

I used a double glazed window rested on top of the tumble drier and it made a right old rachet :lol:

I've been doing the grinding paste on a bit of glass (chap at work told me about it) to clean up the surfaces on my inlet manifold, its quite a nice job to do.

I used a double glazed window rested on top of the tumble drier and it made a right old rachet :lol:

Thats cheating switching the machine on to save your arms! No wonder it was noisy!