jonnyattwood

conversion problems!

Hi guys,

Just looking to get a bit more of an idea on where I stand insurance wise with a conversion.

I have gnarly for the corrado through the MOT and because I'm getting older I feel it's time to be more responsible, so I've got a few quotes with full mods list including engine change to R32. But the problem I have now os where I stand with the DVLA as I take it they need to know also.

Question 1 is can I insure it all mods declared and not tell the DVLA and if anything did go wronged be covered?

Question 2 is if I decided to tell the DVLA what would they want off me to sort it out? Engine number, proof of purchase etc.

Seeing as the guy who did the conversion before me and I bought the car 18 months ago I feel id have a problem finding out where the engine came from, also I was lied.to about quite alot of things about the car and I'm kind of worrying that the engine is more than likely not legit.

If anyone could shine any light on this it would be much appreciated

Jonny

you should declare the engine change to the DVLA, as in the event of anything going wrong the insurance company will look under the bonnet....

If you are to declare the swap to the insurance, it makes sense to do so.

It's a while since i last declared a swap, but the DVLA wanted to know the engine number, conformation it was fitted and the original cc of the replacement engine.

I get on well with my local VW so just gave them the information required BKD(+engine number) originally 1968cc and currently fitted to vehicle KP05 ***. They typed a quick letter up on VW paper and that was all that was to it.

the alternative was receipt for the engine and receipt from a mechanic for fitting it, neither of which i had...