Goofrado

more power from 1.8 16v

i have a standard 1.8 16v engine its running at 150bhp and want more power i have an after market exhaust system. will an uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors work any help would be much appreciated :?:

I doubt it's standard if it's making that sort of power.

A standard car ought to be somewhere between 135 and 140 bhp.

I'd recommend Kent GF1602R cams, but I suspect that it may have non-standard items in there already (that or the rolling road was a bit optimistic).

Stealth can get 155bhp out of a standard 1.8 16v just by tuning,no extras,thats why im booked in end of july 8) You cant go bigger injectors cos its not poss with k-jet.Its worth remembering k-jet is good for well over 200bhp!

Ive got the 2 exhaust cam mod in mine which worked wonders and i also have a stainless 4branch but i didnt really notice much with that.Most cams for 16v just shift the power further up the rev range which you dont want.but ive seen good results on cars with mild kents and shricks

flusted, So, where are Stealth, and how much for the tune-up for 155bhp? Is it a standard tune or do they do something else as well?

Stealth can get 155bhp out of a standard 1.8 16v just by tuning,no extras,

SCHWEET! :D

How on earth do they do that???? And more to the point, where do I sign???

Speaking as someone who managed 154.8bhp on Stealth's rolling road without them doing anything to it, I'd be very interested in what they do to tune a standard 1.8 up to 155bhp...

They up the fuel pressure,advance the timing and then do the famous wur mod.The Wur is the warm up reg,It has a tamper proof cam on the back which stealth drill out and behind it is a screw which can richin the mixture across the entire rev range as 16vs are prone to leaning off higher up the rev range.I think its £45 plus vat for an hour on rollers which should be enough but i was told that maximum i might need 2hours.16bhp for £50ish sounds a bargain to me.The wur mod can only be done to corrados with k-jet injection so thats kr 1.8s

They up the fuel pressure,advance the timing and then do the famous wur mod.The Wur is the warm up reg,It has a tamper proof cam on the back which stealth drill out and behind it is a screw which can richin the mixture across the entire rev range as 16vs are prone to leaning off higher up the rev range.I think its £45 plus vat for an hour on rollers which should be enough but i was told that maximum i might need 2hours.16bhp for £50ish sounds a bargain to me.The wur mod can only be done to corrados with k-jet injection so thats kr 1.8s

Sounds interesting, what's the downside though? There must be one! Think my C runs rich anyway, as she seems to fly quite nicely :D In fact, the Sun is shining, England v France is on so that means empty roads, I make that 'Corrado Drive for the Sake of it' O'clock. :D

Not wanting to burst anyones bubbles but I have heard stealth racing's rollers are abit optomistic. I don't know having not been there my self but I know club G40 had a rolling road day there last year and then at club polo's rolling road day ppl came out with 10-20 BHP down from the stealth readings!

Still I would'nt mind a little more poke from the 16v so if the rumours are true let me know.

id agree theyre optimistic.......my kr golf with 150k showed 153 bhp on stealths rollers

theyre no magicians.....all they did was set my c/o to 2% and they set the timing to just under 9 deg, they wur mod was not needed cost was £90

ive sinse put the timing back to 6 ish beacuse it was a bit jerky at slow speeds...and not worth the 2 bhp it picked up

id just advise anyone to have a proper service with new plugs,filters and the work...get the c/o put to 2% and have the timing checked ....just enjoy your car for what it is...numbers dont mean jack

Stealth can get 155bhp out of a standard 1.8 16v just by tuning,no extras

Not with K-Jetronic mechanical injection & no extras they can't.

If that's independantly verified - I'l eat my shirt at the next R/R day !!

Surley it doesnt matter if there rollers are out because they give you a before and after figure showing the improvement.Anyway,i dont care about bhp,i care about how the car feels on the road where it counts!!!

My car goes really well when engine is cold but as it warms up it losses power possibly indicating its running to rich so id rather stealth be able to set it perfect

....... I'l eat my shirt at the next R/R day !!

That could've been a costly typo :lol:

....... I'l eat my shirt at the next R/R day !!

That could've been a costly typo :lol:

I doubt it Tom, K-Jetronic was fitted to a fair amount of Mercs during the '80s & 90's. There's not a lot you can do to tune it besides adjusting a few settings - maybe squeeze another 5 bhp or so if your lucky. Any more power than that would need an amount of engine work & some replacement parts (or an inaccurate rolling road !! ).

Like flusted says - it's more a case of driveability than paper power thats important.

stevemac, think Tom meant it'd been costly if you'd missed the R out... ;) :lol:

stevemac, think Tom meant it'd been costly if you'd missed the R out...

But have you seen the size shirts he wears :lol: :mrgreen:

stevemac, think Tom meant it'd been costly if you'd missed the R out... ;) :lol:

LOL - I was a bit slow there :drinking:

Apologies for the slightly o/t, but did any one here put their 16v C on the rollers at Inters.....talking of optimistic rollers they had mine reading 183BHP. :shock: They even ran it again, and got same result! As far as I know she's standard, some mistake surely (i.e £45 down the pan) :roll:

Yeah, it was very inaccurate, some bloke was ranting becuase he got 220bhp out of a standard G60....hmmm

Wish I'd have had a go - on that scale, mine would have been hitting 300 bhp !!!

I think there used to going to these Vauxhall shows where people are pleased to get stupid readings as they don't have a clue what they should be in the first place but if i'd gone on there and got a silly figure i'd have wanted my money back!

well it went in with 145.8bhp@6684 and come out with 150bhp@6298 124.9lb,ft@5664 after 129.5@5555 so if the rollers were being optimistic they still got a little extra out of raddo

nice figure Goo, will have to arrange a meet sometime to see your car... :wink:

How about a meet up in MK sometime? seems like there's a few C's about round here now.

David.