Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

how do you remove the tail gate???

so.. how do you remove the tailgate, the mechanics of it look simple but what about all the wiring, is there a plug that disconnects or have you got to pull all the wires out.?? :roll:

having stripped out the headlining on mine, and run some new wires into the tailgate, I can't say that I saw any multiplugs which would allow the removal of the tailgate without cutting the wiring... :?

The plugs in the tailgate itself come apart to form single contact connectors, but the ones in the c pillars are not exactly big and can be un-threaded.

Cutting the wiring in the hope that you can make relaible joints at the point where the wires have to flex the most is dumb...

In summary, disconnect the loom in the c-pillars, unbolt the hinges from the roof (NOT the hinges from the tailgate) and lift off.

As it's F. heavy, make sure you havbe a couple of friends to help you out.

you can thread the wires through but it is a pain in the ass to get them out let alone put them back in again i have done it but took a long long time... snip-snip-solder next time for me.. :lol:

For those of you with access to ETKA, go and look at illustration number 295 (MG9, SG71).

This shows were the loom for the tailgate plugs into the main loom for the rear of the car.

There are 2 1-pin connectors and 2 2-pin connectors plus earth point eyelets.

Threading them through the c-pillar has to be easier than either butchering your loom or trying to thread the other end of the loom through the tailgate.

i had enough grief getting just one wire through the tail gate, gor the remote boot release. i'll be buggered if i'm going to spend all day threading through ten of em. :lol: i'll snip em in the roof, giving me plenty of room, or i might just leave it on :roll: i riped the rear black number plate thing off yesterday, got myself a sheet of steel, 8th gauge 27.5"(i think) and 7" deep. weld it on and smooth it all over, oh and cut out the wiper hole properly and weld a plate in, that grommet looks funny.. all of course if i dont cock it up. :oops:

best thing to do is when you pull the cables out of the tail gate tape a sigle piece of cable to each side and leave these in until you re fit the tailgate then you can use them to pull the cables back through

it also helps to tape all the plugs down with the loom to make it smoother to pull through and stops the plugs being damaged

i did this and it only took 20 mins to re-fit 8)