Chargemeup

Supercharger Removed

So I've bought a G60 which has zero history and have decided to whip out the charger. The car has done 140k and the charger seems to pull like a train but after testing it, it was only pulling 1660 psi. Couple of questions, would it be possible that the charger has never been serviced? It was a pig to get out, pretty much every bolt was seized solid and I've got the bloody knuckles to prove it. Secondly (forgive my ignorance) which pulley do you replace if you want more bhp? Is it the one at the top or bottom? How so I know if it has already been done?

Hi, there is usually markings etched into the body of the charger somewhere as to wether it's been rebuilt before or upgraded. Unless someone's had a go at themselves with a rebuild kit. The pulley that's upgrades is the charger pulley, standard diameter is 78mm with most replacing to a 68mm and usually accompanied with an upgraded chip in the ecu.

I take it the 1660 reading was from the MFA on the dash. If you have stock pulley you would benefit from a rebuild of the charger. You also want to replace the small belt on the charger, if its not been replaced before.

As these cars a pretty old now, I would go for a standard rebuild of the charger. Then drive around for 6 months or so, just to make sure the car is running okay with no issues. Before you try and get more power out of it.

Thanks for your replies so far. So I've split the charger tonight. I can't find any numbering on it at all. I should have added some pics hopefully! Now my question is this. It looks in pretty good shape all I could find was one of the strips has slid out slightly, would this have effected my performances much? Should I carry on and change the bearings, strips and o rings or should I just put it back together?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80349[/ATTACH]So I've split the charger tonight and apart from a bit of the strip hanging out it all looks good, would that have lost me my power? I'm in two minds whether or not to strip it down.what do you guys recommend?

The general rule usually is that if there is no history then just get it done for peace of mind. Mine is well overdue, only boosting half a bar via a gauge (mfa readings aren't always accurate. Although i'm capable of doing it myself i'd rather have the documentation.

• Like 1

That's it decision made, I'm going to strip the charger tonight and get the bearings and apex strips online. I know theres plenty of outlets but who would you recomend at a decent price?