carrots

not vw landrover water pump bolts broken

I tried to change the water pump on my discovery 300tdi .I got most of the bolts out but the 3 long uns snapped .has anyone had this prob before

Edited by carrots

A more descriptive title, relative to your problem might help you get some more people looking at the thread!

Can't say I've ever met any other Corrado owners who also owned Landies, so might want to get onto some Land Rover forums.

Not sure untill I remove the water pump housing.looking at the broken bolts and the new bolts I would say 2 will be flush and 1 will stick out.

Thats a common issue..

If you remove your alternator - no need to disconnect wiring - (will reach and rest it on top of engine) undo bolts and remove the " p gasket " bracket assembly you can get a pair of mole grips on each of them and undo..

High chance you will need to file / block sand the ally housing before refitment too as is will be pitted..

Blow away with airline if poss any coolant so bone dry or sealant / gasket can weep on reasembly

The material "p gasket" (older version) is better than the metal type for slight corrosion sealing faces..

A liberal amount of hylomar on all faces.

Put back together..

Lightly coat the 3 replacement bolts in copper slip..

A dob of threadloc on all bolts.

Paul

Edited by winchbietch