Hairyarse

ABS light/sensors

I thought I'd start a new thread as so far I've piggy-backed on others.

I replaced my front two ABS sensors over Christmas. Once I did this, I checked a number of times and after turning the ignition on, the ABS light went out after a few seconds - which it didn't before as it was permanently on.

I then left my unit with the light off, please with myself but half way home the light came back on and has stayed on ever since. I've checked and the sensors are mounted ok and the plugs haven't come off. However, before I start replacing anything else I'm thinking there's a reason that the system seemed to work ok (albeit briefly) but now it doesn't and it's to do with the front sensors.

The sensors are bolted in square/straight but were a tight fit. I can't see you could tighten them any further but anyone know how close the sensor should be to the back of the hub? I wondered if the gap is too big and that's the issue?

Any wisdom would be appreciated ;)

Cheers

Andy

Its only maybe 5mm away iirc. If the sensor has been pushed home, and the securing bolt is on with the body of the sensor flush to the hub, then that shouldn't be a problem. Its worth getting it on diagnostic to give you an exact cause, but if you're sure its the front sensors again, disconnect the cable at the turret, and check resistance with a multi-meter. (A cheap £5 meter will do the job and well worth investing in). The resistance of the sensors should be Approx 1.1 KOhms. High, low, or wavering from one extreme to the other are indications the sensor is faulty.

They're definitely fitted ok then, they're not on the p**s or anything and I think the gap is about 5mm. I've got a meter so I'll check the resistance on them, but would hope the new ones aren't duff!! I haven't done a scan actually since fitting them but before hand the scanner couldn't connect to the ABS system to read any fault codes (but connects to everything else ok.)