4eyes2wheels

Bizarre loss of power, golf mk5 tdi 4mo

Former corrado vr6 owner here, looking for advice from the real vw experts.

Driving home tonight, M2 and M25 for 45 miles, the TDi 4mo felt a bit fluttery on the throttle or was it wind buffeting? Then I realised I was slowing down and was at 60 mph at 2k rpm with the foot flat to the floor.

Dropped to fifth and can get to 2.5k but not getting past 60.

Dip clutch and I can Rev to the red line. Drop to fourth and I can get 3k but still only about 60.

Up the long drag from junction 7 to 8 I had to drop to third and could only just do 40. Over the hill and down slope towards j9 I can eventually creep to 70.

On the side roads to home it's not so obvious but down on power and acceleration.

Very confused, no warning lights ..... Clutch? 143k miles on the clock. Would need to check history for clutch change if at all. Turbo?

Need some advice please.

My mk4 did this from time to time. It was the variable geometry vanes clogging up with the soot build up. The turbo was in effect stalling and choking the engine. I removed the turbo and cleaned it all out and that seemed to cure it.

Looking back through the history it had a new turbo at 60k and again at 100k. Now at 143k is it time for another turbo?

It must have some pretty poor servicing going on if they go that often. Does it get the correct grade of oil? I don't mean weight but vw spec 501.xx.

Sorry missed that, light should be on to limp. Def try unplugging maf. Sent my mk5 mental when it went.

Idle was fine but wouldn't rev. Clouds of smoke out the exhaust too.

Been serviced by a home tuning enthusiast.

last two years has had the right oil for sure as it has been serviced right

had a new MAF 3 months ago, no warning lights.

loads of smoke before the new MAF and now hardly any smoke

off to the garage soon anyway as needs a new belt and water pump and maybe a new turbo!

It could be the MAF then if you are getting no warning lights. Was it genuine? If so then you can return it faulty.

MAF was a genuine part yes.

filled up with diesel and did the 50 miles to work, motorway fine, no power problems but last 3 miles through town it was jerky around 30 mph.

Will be calling the garage soon!

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

Booked in for Monday for timing belt and water pump and to investigate this issue.

Question about the MAF, which was new a few months ago. I started the car up at lunchtime and then unplugged the MAF connector - NO difference at all. Can rev the same with or without it . . . . does this tell me anything? Or does it just tell the forum I don't know what I am talking about?

It says to me that the MAF is having no effect on the car whether it is plugged in or not, which means it's not working! Give it a clean in case something has got on the sensor wire.

And the update today is that it's fine on the motorway again but a bit "kangaroo fuel" around 30 mph. plus the Check Engine Light came on this morning and it says Garage Emissions!

Deep joy!