fla

illumination wiring issue

weird one - i'm refitting the centre console and have wired some leds to illuminate the heater knobs. However, when the lights are switched on and the leds are plugged in, the other switch lights go off. If i remove the leds they light up properly. I had previously wired the led source from the two wires under the heater control panel but cut them off thinking this was causing a short. However, i then put an led into the two pin connector that goes to the heater control and the other leds went out again. Not quite sure whats happening there.

So either my switches can light or the heater knobs can. I've connected the inverter for the panel illumination but the panel hasn't been plugged in to that. Could that be the cause? Wiring is correct.

Ignition off in this case.

Just to update this further - when the inverter is connected the clocks lights go out but the lcd display remain lit. Also, the heather knobs, gearstick and another led strip i've installed in the cubby hole all go out. I'm connecting the inverter to the connector that feeds the ash tray light. Is it that leds and inverters are not compatible in the same circuit?

Not sure what is shorting out what. All the lights are connected in parallel. Maybe i should try another feed? If so, what is an easily accessible one?

In the interim i'll just go back to having no heater display illumination and try and think of another solution.