Dan7690

Trouble getting ready for new paint

I'm currently in the process of getting my rado ready for its respray but I've hit a couple of snags. Can someone tell me how to remove the scuttle as it seem solid and at the same time I don't want to start breaking things!? Also how do you remove the front window rubbers and the plastic triangle at the front of the rubber????

Thanks

Scuttle needs to be removed by undoing the 2 screws on the outer edges, remove wipers, remove seal at the front, then prise the front up out of the retaining clips on the lip. They should then slide a couple of centimetres or lift straight off of the clips at the back. Be wary though, it's likely they have been bonded on if the car has had a screen replacement in the past. In which case you'll have to gently prise them off too.

I wouldn't recommend removing the top door rubbers. They're very fragile and don't need to be painted. Just remove the slot seal running along the bottom of the window. You'll almost certainly need replacements though as they are metal backed and deform easily when bent. They are available from VW heritage if you can't or don't want to re-use them. With the window down, just get something at the edge to lift it slightly whilst gently pushing toward the window, and work your way along without raising it too high at any point.

Thanks Sean, think I may have a bit of trouble with the scuttle as I know it's had a screen replacement. Could be fun! Wasn't planning on removing the top rubbers just the bottom but they may have to wait until the engines back together to get some power to them. Atleast if I mess them up I can get replacements. Cheers for the help

the clips that hold it on often break resulting in being glued on

you can use a knife to cut through the glue holding on the scuttle on, its was a right pain.

if the fitter has primed the scuttle before glueing you'll never just prise it off.

i have also used cheesewire

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREEN-GLASS-CUTTING-OUT-REMOVAL-WIRE-GOLD-BRAIDED-22-metres-/121388016229?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item1c434a2265

be careful they are obselite

stu - autoglass fitter