Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Brakes

Hey guys great forum, got word of it through UKmrkIVs

I just got my first corrado recently (1990 1.8 16V) going to use her for track days for the moment until I have the bread to do a proper job rebuilding.

I wanted to ask about brakes, I am thinking about upgrading to G60s on the front or Brembos if I can get a set cheap somewhere, I have 16s on her so they should fit.

I’ve brought it around the track a few times already on the standard brakes with road pads and they soft V quickly + breaking distance was poor. I would be looking big down the line but what would be the best set-up for the intern? (Taking cost into mind)

Im thinking 308 disks would the biggest I could go with the 16s. Would cross-drilled 280s would do the job.

first thing on the list when you've decided on which caliper and disks you want is to dump the brake fluid and stick some DOT5.1 in as it'll mainly be this which is causing the soggy feel... ;)

A decent set of G60 calipers and carriers with some good make pads and good make disks will make a serious improvement over the standard 16V's brakes.... 8)

The Brembos are a great modification, but are an arse to get wheels which fit over 'em.... :|

A decent set of G60 calipers and carriers with some good make pads and good make disks will make a serious improvement over the standard 16V's brakes.... 8)

Or vr6 calipers and carriers that are the same. :wink:

See when changing from the older kind of brake fluid to DOT 5.1, do you have to get rid of all of the old stuff. I.e. completely bleed the entire system. Does the DOT 5.1 stuff react in anyway to the older DOT stuff.

And, how would you go about making sure you got rid of all the old brake fluid before putting in the DOT 5.1

ta

Timo

DOT5.1 is fully compatable with any of the other DOT brake fluids... I tend to make sure that I bleed about 200ml out of each brake pipe which should be enough to bleed the whole system through and ensure that you have nice clean DOT5.1 in the whole system... Don't forget to do the clutch one slave too! ;) 8)

You'll only get the full benefit of changing to DOT5.1 if you do get rid of all of the old stuff first...

Thanks for that lads, I may have sourced a set of G60 brakes, Ill throw a pair of PAGID pads in and see how it goes.

Bleed 200mill you say at this stage there is prob 20 mill left :) How much does a bottle of that DOT 5.1 run at? Was looking there at GSF and there is a set of Zimmerman cross drilled disks and Kevlar-mix pads going for #99 inc VAT which isn’t bad.

b

Was looking there at GSF and there is a set of Zimmerman cross drilled disks and Kevlar-mix pads going for #99 inc VAT which isn’t bad.

b

Try a set of "Brembo Max" grooved discs - tend to wear better than the Zimmerman drilled jobbies :wink:

Bleed 200mill you say at this stage there is prob 20 mill left :) How much does a bottle of that DOT 5.1 run at?

I buy a litre bottle from Halfords when I do mine and it costs less than £20... 8)

DOT5.1 is fully compatable with any of the other DOT brake fluids... I tend to make sure that I bleed about 200ml out of each brake pipe which should be enough to bleed the whole system through and ensure that you have nice clean DOT5.1 in the whole system... Don't forget to do the clutch one slave too! ;) 8)

You'll only get the full benefit of changing to DOT5.1 if you do get rid of all of the old stuff first...

Don´t get me wrong Henny...

But i am almost sure that in the Delphi Lockheed DOT 5.1 bottle says that you cannot mix with other brake fluid types such as DOT 4.

Although you can substitute all your brake fluid with DOT5.1

Maybe i´m wrong... maybe i´m not... :roll:

I do not have the back label to post here but...

http://www.gtgtandems.com/tech/chap10.html

2nd paragraph... Outch!!! :shock:

nah, kongo127, that's dot 5 :roll:

Read the third paragraph! ;) :lol:

fluid we recommend DOT 4, which is totally compatible with DOT 5.1.

you need to be careful to get DOT5.1 which is the replacement for all before it...

DOT5 is silicone based and will eat the seals in your brake system and so is NOT compatible... :?

DOT5.1 was designed to be able to be mixed with any other brake fluid and not to attack rubber brake seal components... 8)