Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

De-locking doors.

I've heard it is possible to de-lock the doors on Cs by replacing the handles with rear passat handles. So whilst at the breakers this am got some passat handles for £10ea - bargin I reacon. But, how do I fit them? I've had the existing handles part way off to strengthen the mountings involving card removal.

Anyone done this or know how it should be done?

Hi Ross,

I've done this mod. Should point out you'll need remote central locking but you probably know this already.

You'll need to remove door card to unplug the handle central locking wiring. If you place the Passat rear handle and C handle side by side they are very similar apart from the length of the striking pin.

Couple of ways round this, first is to modify the Passat handle by carefully bending the pin with a pliers so its the same as the C handle.

Second, the way I did it, was to use the Passat rear lock mechanism. This bolts straight up and the handle requires no modifying, you'll probably have to make fine adjustemnts to the lock mechanism (there's a screw on the reverse of the mechanism you can adjust the striking plate) and there should also be a white plastic bit on the striking pin to adjust length of striking pin by screwing up or down.

Its dead eay, if I can do it anyone can. When you put it back together pack with grease and watch out for the parent lock if you decide to go with rear mechanisms!

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

HTH

Amit

Thanks, very reasuring to hear that its nice and easy. I'm sure I'll find out when I start taking things apart, but how much bending needs doing, to which bit (obviously it's something to do with the L-shaped sticky out bit) and which way?

I'll prob give it a go on Sun.

Did it. BTW bending does NOT work, cast metal like the striking breaks when forced as I found. But once broken I was able to re-join the pin by drilling and bolting the two halves in the corrado position. Fairly easy but not just bolt on - some fabrication required.

Anyone got any pic's of the new door handles. I've been toying with the idea myself and I know where there's a 95 Passat for breaking.

(I tried Darren's link but there was an error)

Cheers...

Hi,

Could be wrong but a 95 Passat will be too new. I think you'll need to find

a 87-93 Passat.

Paul

I did this mod at the weekend and it's worked a treat I bought 2 new rear handles off a '91 passat and some second hand mechanism's as well. The handles set me back £20 each from my Vag dealership and I bought the mechanism's from a Vw breakers in nottingham who sent them by courier the mech's cost me £10 a piece and the courier cost me £10 and they arrived the next day so for £70 I delocked both doors inc carriage which is about the pice before vat on 1 new corrado handle from Euro Car Parts who I am not very happy with at the moment as I bought a corrado handle off of them last june and it broke last week so it's only had 7 months use and they would only replace it after sending the old 1 back with the reciept even though I have bought a hell of alot of stuff off them over the last 4 years abnd they know me pretty well. I couldn't find the reciept so they wouldn't do a refund on it!!! ( Bast*rds )

The number for the VW Breakers I used is 0115 9791121 they were really helpful to me so I will be using them again if I need anything that aint worth getting new!!!

Yes, I've managed to get the link sorted and seen the article.

It's a pity the newer type handle doesn't fit. (or?) There are a lot of newer vw's and Seat's about with similar looking handle mechanisms.

My impressions of Eurocarparts is there brilliant if you own a Mk2 Golf.

Euro Car Parts are generally really good for parts veedub related but if I'm gonna get customer service like that I will use other sources from now on!

Wish I knew about the passat handles thing. Only had my C a week when the handles were removed free of charge. Did a lot of damage to drivers door too. So I got rid of the door handles completely (they keep breaking anyway) and installed a solenoid to eack mechanism inside each door. A bit of welding and filling (this bits not done yet though - just duck tape over the hole at the moment!) and you will have the ultimate smooth look. A couple of receiving units in the boot (from Maplins), two buttons in the boot and a keyfob. All in, I reakon about £300 to £400 including painting. Pretty good considering you will never get to your car to find the door handles have been forced and won't let you in!! Only NEVER lose the keyfob!!

i was going to delock one of our corrado's but was adviced against it as the corrado doors are heavy and the seals around the door tend to stick and with nothing to pull it open u might look mad trying to lever it open with a lolly stick or somthing!

you have been warned :mad:

imho audi a6 handles are the only way to go if you are gonna spend some cash upgrading the shite origianal corrado ones! :p

imho audi a6 handles are the only way to go if you are gonna spend some cash upgrading the shite origianal corrado ones! :p

But have you seen a C fitted with Fiat Barcetta (wrong spelling i think) door handles, now that looks far more impressive.

Those are the ones that sit flush with the door right? Do they have locks in? and that means you need to cut holes in the bodywork right?!

Cheers.

i have seen a number of (over 10) corrados with shaved door handles online...so i'm not *too* concerned with the seal sticking. very good point though. all i'm gonna say is when i have the cash my car's handles are history.

what's that bastid gonna think when he goes to jack my car and there's no handles on the door?? :shock: 8)

Sorry got it working now. You have to delete some of the path and then click on the link from the home page.

Did this mod to my Ol G60 as it was gonna cost about £60 a side for new door-handles from VAG, plus you needed to change the locks around etc. etc. The Passat route cost £25 for two new handles and also improved security....

So, on the whole thoroughly recommended if you have got broken handles, otherwise don't bother...

Hi All

I managed to get hold of some Passat Rear door handles from my local scrap yard!, yesterday i attempted to fit the drivers handle?, i did as advised and fabricated them to the same as the original ones, refitted it with great care but when i set my alarm the other doors lock but the drivers remains unlocked???? can anyone tell me if ive done something wrong do i need to adjust the central locking wiring? :?

Regards

Nigwell :?

Well i did the passat handle mod today. Managed to get 2 sets of both locks and handles from the local scrapy. Nigwell hopefully you'll have had your car locked.

But if you're still having problems make sure you've attached the white plastic clip over the locking tab on the passat locks and have the rods checked for movement. Both handles work perfect and look good. Have to say this is a very worthwile mod. Small price and extra security. :p