E2-SAW

24v Burgundy Pearl Corrado Track Car - Sell Whole or Break For Parts - Help

Been keeping this quiet for a while now, as has Jay whom the car was bought from. Been lurking the forum for a while but only just picked the car up.

Jay gave my mate and I first dibs on the Corrado when he decided to sell with the birth of his daughter slowly approaching. We put down a deposit after spending an afternoon with Jay talking about the car and going over the finer details, and Jay stored it while we got the previous track car of ours stripped and sold of.

Today i went along and picked up the Corrado. Its an absolute beauty of a car to drive and a perfect track car. Rough and ready on the outside but all the right things done to make it a very capable track car.

Mods are :-

2.8 24v Engine Conversion

Remapped to 240bhp, 230 lb/ft torque.

Huge Cone Filter

Magnex Exhaust System.

Totally stripped out of all interior except dashboard.

Full Roll Cage.

Fixed Bucket Seats & TRS Harnesses

KW V1 Coilovers

312mm Front Brake Upgrade

16" TT Mini-Comps

Lexan Windows

Carbon Fibre Bonnet

280mm Momo Team Steering Wheel

Snap-off Steering Wheel Hub

Tinted front indicators

All Red Rear Lights

Short Shifter

Fancy Gearknob

Plenty more that i can't remember at this moment in time.

Pictures speak a thousand words though, so here are some :)

16372288575_5a1bb39efb_b.jpg

16372288545_a97da9cbc5_b.jpg

15749844234_2478ea6e9e_b.jpg

16184645768_333c7a6e38_b.jpg

16186060119_34b75037a5_b.jpg

16184900310_2a749f33b4_b.jpg

16371395342_e2cf17fff3_b.jpg

15752294883_b79eba5018_b.jpg

16372289925_bae8a4eea2_b.jpg

16184647718_225a24978e_b.jpg

16186062169_4c55cd5aec_b.jpg

Excellent car to drive - much better than the Clio although that was fun, but this car is certainly more what my mate Marc and I are into.

Plans:-

New wheels - got them already, will be a huge improvement.

Decat/Noisier exhaust - it is so quiet it isn't right for a track car

Upgraded discs and pads - OEM stuff probably won't last long on track

Other than that, drive the hell out of it, few track days at Knockhill, couple down south at Oulton Park and Cadwell as well, then a trip to Nurburgring is on the cards as well.

Chuffed to bits :)

Edited by E2-SAW

This was originally Stan24's car I think a long time ago. Check out the 24v engine thread.

Regarding the brakes some good discs and DS2500 pads will probably be good enough, my 288's with these pads were fine for Knockhill.

If you haven't already try and get some early brake ducts, they fit in behind front bumper and connect into front wheel well lining. Simple addition but certainly help get some fresh air in around the brakes.

What cage is that?

Good buy - that should be fun!!

There's a good track car thread on here that may give you some tips for weight saving etc. I can't remember who's it is now but if you search I'm sure it will pop-up ;)

This was originally Stan24's car I think a long time ago. Check out the 24v engine thread.

Regarding the brakes some good discs and DS2500 pads will probably be good enough, my 288's with these pads were fine for Knockhill.

If you haven't already try and get some early brake ducts, they fit in behind front bumper and connect into front wheel well lining. Simple addition but certainly help get some fresh air in around the brakes.

What cage is that?

Is this what you mean - I thought I saw some on the classifieds yesterday when I was looking

http://the-corrado.net/classifieds.php?listing=bumper-brake-ducts-removed-from-early-16v-corrado-152355

Ds2500 are ok for mild track use mate . Go ds3000 I'd say if it's an out and out track car . Mintex 1155 are also good to . Car looks like it will be a blast . If doing cadwell give us the heads up . Love the place will pop down in my Clio lol

Very nice. If going to Knockhill try and come on one of the TrackScotland days. We usually have two Corrado's and a few Mk2's out.

Keep us posted, looks fun.

Thanks very much guys. Iv had previous experience (and good ones) with EBC discs and red stuff pads. Coming in at under £200 for the fronts so going to give them a bash for now.

HummuH, was hoping to do 28th Feb but away working that weekend. Next Track Scotland one not until April. Will hopefully get a date in March for first track day once harnesses are secured properly and brakes are sorted out with something a little better. And of course the new wheels & tyres which will make a world of difference.

Coullstar I'm pretty sure the cage is a Weichers or something like that.

Will defo be looking into the brake ducts. Even something home made would do, but those things look like the trick.

Will defo be looking into the brake ducts. Even something home made would do, but those things look like the trick.

Useless for track work IMO. To really get brake temps down you need to get a feed very close to the disc/caliper rather than just stuffing more air in the arches. Get about 4m of decent flexi ducting and feed to both sides, ideally with the intake where the fogs are then cable tied underneath the engine. There are some brackets kicking about that you can attach to the struts which hold the ducting about 1 inch away from the disc but they are custom made jobs. That helps.

TBH, I wouldn't bother unless you really need to. Knockhill is the hardest circuit on brakes that I've ever driven but unless you do bonkers long sessions you should be fine and if you do suffer fade etc, I'd start with better discs/pads/fluid/hoses rather than jumping straight down the brake cooling route.

I've done a lot of testing on what does/doesn't work at Knockhill so happy to give a helping hand if ever needed. Dreghorn's my local V-Power depot too! Looking forward to seeing it out.

I agree air direct to the brakes is best way however I noticed a difference with these fitted. Just mentioned them as they are cheap, easy to fit, hidden and wont do any harm in the long run.

Nout wrong with EBC stuff gwr. Better than standard and not overly expensive, that's for sure. With good fluid, they'll be plenty good for this car. Like said Iv tried and tested them on previous track cars and have been excellent.

What would you suggest otherwise disc and pad wise for £200 that are 312mm??

Really good advise HummuH. It's as well being done if it makes any odds of a difference for little to no cost. The fogs are already removed, so easy enough to get cooling ducts fitted if it's a case of cable tie racing :). It won't just be Knockhill this will be prepared for, but you're right, the track is brutal on the brakes.

Edited by E2-SAW

Having ran track cars since 1987 in numerous forms from mk1 fiestas to evo 9,s etc I've tried a lot of brands of pads and discs etc , and have always found found EBC to be terrible, as for something for 200 pound , I'd say wait a little bit longer till you can afford better , it's like tyres ? Crap tyres on a track car kills half the fun , yes I understand a lot boils down to money doesn't it always . Just my

Opinion .

Thanks mate. Had a look at Revotec stuff last night on demon tweeks. Looks ok.

It doesn't boil down to money, it's not about not affording anything more than £200. It's better to spend the £200 on decent EBC stuff that on previous track cars of mine have been more than ample, than to take he car in its current status with OEM discs and pads and standard fluid. The EBC pads have also been a good addition to my E46 M3 road car.

What would you recommend in the place of EBC without going into mental money territory on 312mm brakes?

Like I said mate ds2500 are a good pad ds3000 very very good , are you using the car on

Road or purely track ? Pagid are

Good but they do suffer from a lot of noise on

Some cars , what caliper are you running on the car ?

Iv had mixed experience with the ds2500. Great on my 205 GTI but very poor on my M3.

Pagid RS29 always seem to get a good review, in particular Iv seen the good ratings on the M3 forum.

Calipers are TT/V6 4mo fitment that are for 312mm brake discs.

What brake discs would you recommend if you think the EBC will be no good?

It's not 100% track no, it will be used on the road as well but not loads. It needs to drive us to and from the track, and also Germany and back when we go to the ring.

I would get the EBC discs tbh mate it's the pads I find terrible . And yes with such a big heavy powerfull car like a m3 your ds2500 might be struggling a bit I would of used the 3000 . Pagid pads are great had them on my evo 9 . And was very impressed with the stopping power on standard calipers too . Mintex 1155 ain't bad for the money . Braided lines and new fluid would also be helping . My current track car a Clio turbo I use trunking zip tied underneath directed straight to the back of the calipers . It's not preety . But then again neither is the car .

DS3000's far too aggressive IMO, particularly if any road driving. They're an old compound now and there's better newer compounds out there.

Yes mate they are aggressive . Very much so for for road use . But they are a decent price withing budget . Will you be doing much road use mate . If just track they be fine .

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated.

We're probably going to go for EBC discs with green stuff pads, and a cold air feed to the brakes. They've been tried and tested by us before on previous cars. They'll be a good starting point along with good fluid and braided lines.

I would try slotted discs, are Tarox still on the go? I've heard Yellow are better for EBC but I changed from red to Mintex 1144's and they were far better. It's all relative to what you know so try them out then swap for different make so you can see what is good and what isn't.

Remember the more aggressive the pad the quicker your discs will get worn and your wheels will get knackered with baked on dust.

Need to get mine out again for a track day down there.

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated.

We're probably going to go for EBC discs with green stuff pads, and a cold air feed to the brakes. They've been tried and tested by us before on previous cars. They'll be a good starting point along with good fluid and braided lines.

That's a decent starting point and you can upgrade pads if you need to along the way.