Sign in to follow this  
16vStyle

Runs smootly for 60secs, then misfires?

Hi, My 94 2.0 16v (9A) has started misfiring to the extent that it is undrivable. on start up it will idle and run smoothly for a min or so but after that it starts searching and misfiring. On giving it some throttle it badly misfires and revs dont increase.

I have checked all the leads, distributer, coil etc all are fine.

All spark plugs were fine apart from the spark plug in cylinder 2 was covered in oil when I removed it, not the spark plug head but the thread. After cleaning it up and putting it back it ran fine again for a minuite witout misfiring then the same happens. I dont think oil is getting into the cylinder, more like the rocker cover gasket, filling the area above the spark plug with oil?

Does anyone have any experience of this, and would this cause it to misfire in this way?

Any help/ suggestions greatly appreciated..

cheers

Ihad this problem a few months ago.The car had actually died on me.While I was waiting for the airflow meter that the computer diagnostic said it needed I would often try to start the car.It would usually start and run fine for about a minute then die.When I eventually got it sorted out ,it turned out to be the rotor arm.There was nothing visibly wrong with it but on warming up it would track out,hence misfire and engine cut-out.It's got to be worth a couple of quid to rule it out.

sounds like its going through warm up procedure then going for lamda correction and failing due to a bad probe, wiring etc.

Thanks for the info, I have recenlty changed the lambda, but i checked all the wiring and it all seems fine. I bought a new rotor arm, but now need to get the adhesive to fit it. There is nothing visibly wrong with the current one, but as you say its worth a couple of quid to rule it out.