northernvw

possibly building rally car vw

hi im totally new to the forum so all new to corrados ect :bonk:!!

basically i may be buying a corrado 2.9 which has been converted into a track car. and i just need to know abit of info on the engines and what there like as a race car ect.

how tuneable is the 2.9 engine so what bhp is achievable and what cost ??

any info is helpful info!

thanks !

Lots of track cars popping up on here lately , the vr6 is **** to tune , you can do it but its costly amd the power gains arent massive compared to say a 1.8t 20v lump but if you chuck a turbo on a vr6 im pretty sure with he correct setups uou can see big power ,but the average turbo guy on here will tun from 300bhp up to around 450

Theres a good few threads dedicated to tuning mate

You can do a couple of relatively cheap mods but power gains are not great n/a.

If you are looking for decent power I'd look at 4motion engines, they come with baffled sumps, can remap to around 140bhp and have 24v for extra low down power where the 12v has a bit of lag and are becoming very cheap!

Obd2 conversion helps the power curve low down on a vr6 or you can look towards schrick/vsr manifolds for the variable inlet.

If you really did want to tune a vr I've seen figures of about 220bhp on a healthy engine with Cams and remap

hi redborbet thanks for your reply!

as i have absolutely no idea how to tune these vw`s what mods are out there for the 2.9 vr6?

also any links to other trackday,race car blogs?

but with rallying its hard to chuck a turbo on any car as they multiply the cc by a certain amount and i would love to build a corrado into a rally car ! :)

As swiftkid says the 2.8 4motion engines are good but thats if you want to swap engines at all

As far as nasp engines go im hoping mine will be one of the faster vr's on the road with out a turbo strapped to it

Run down of what im building is as follows

Mk4 head gasket wich changes compression (more)

Schrick 268 cams for top end

Machine ported throttle with bugger butterfly

Schrick manifold

Were hoping for 225 bhp or more with a remap and a slightly higher rev limiter

Also having a shorter final drive put in the gearbox wich after speaking to vince at stealth racing will hopefully feel like 30bhp on the road ! Obviously not on a dyno so hopefully it will jeep ip with other cars circa 250bhp maybe more maybe less