Sign in to follow this  
Louie Lungbubble

Oil beeber scare

Was giving my beloved 1.8 valver some death a while back, when at 80mph the oil warning light and beeper kicked off giving me a heart attack as I threw the parachutes out the back to screech to a halt.

Thinking I must've smoked my engine good style after somehow losing the oil, I was baffled when I checked it and found it to be perfectly full.

Started it up again: No problem. :scratch:

Thought it might've been down to me recently changing the oil to 5-40 synth from the reccommended 10-40, and it maybe being too thin when hot.

A quick phonecall to Dubsport though, told me this is what oil they'd use on my car.

Put that first time down to gremlins, but it's started happening again, only when the oil is hot and after hard driving.

Anyone else ever get this?

It makes me flap every time! :cry:

Cheers - Ian

mine has justed last friday it starts beeping after 3500 rev's and dont stop. the oil is the right level and the temp at 92 water sits about 80 its probably oil pressure switch that has gone.

this also happened to me but in my case it was a sign of the bottom end giving up, finnaly ended in it throwing a rod, but manage to limp it home, whats the mileage on the lump?

I had the same problem, usually changing the filter does the trick. It is probably one of the oil pressure switches. When my one went beepy, I tried isolating the switches to find out which one was causing the problem. But even when both switches were unplugged, it still bleeped after revving past 2000rpm.

whats the mileage on the lump?

My odometer says 98k. But I suppose that could've had a haircut.

All previous mot's back it up though, so maybe not.

Anyway Mileage aside, the engine is very smooth, quiet and not giving any audible signs of being about to give up.

(Touch wood) :wink:

It's going into Dubsport on tuesday to get the belts changed, so if i can grab one of the oily blokes (and not the desk jockey) i'll ask for his opinion on what to do.

It'd be worth putting an oil pressure gauge in to monitor what's going on IMHO... sounds to me like either a dodgy sender (as mentioned above) or a weak oil pump which is starting to fail... :|

I bought an oil pressure gauge from Halfords just to check and was getting about 40PSI at tickover on a warm engine. Does any of the 16 valvers on here have one fitted, or know what the oil pressure should be (or know where I can get the info)?

The test is inconclusive as the pressure rating is stamped on the the pressure switch, the ones fitted on mine are rated at 1.6 - 2.0 bar. I do know the switches are rated according to the colour of the plastic housing!