steveo29

g60 help....fitted smal timing belt and now it sounds rank

any charger experts able to share any thoughts?

firstly ive had my g60 years and swapped a few of these small timing belts and kinda thought i knew what i was doing

anyway i treated the g60 to new cam belt , serp belt , pas and the small g60 timing belt

started the car and theres a nasty clanking sound from the charger area - i whipped off the serp belt and the engine sounds fine without the other bits spinning

i fitted the small belt as before , both pulley notches in the straight up position lined up with the casting line on the charger body , span it round by hand and rechecked it a couple of times , pulley was undone by hand with a ratchet and slipped off by hand , no hammering or rough treatment

does that correct what ive done ? is the timing that easy to mess up and would i have ruined the charger ?

any ideas ? hoping its something stupid but im pretty sure it can only be the charger

Have you fitted a wider charger timing belt? Is the belt catching anything? Is the serp belt catching anything?

If you spin the charger relay rollers (x2 of them) do they sound OK?

As far as the charger timing...As long as the top and bottom ends are both vertically aligned to each other (Looking face on) it should be OK. Note that you don't use any pulley marks to align, but the two sprockets, but I'm sure you know that.

g-lader-g60-timing-marks-alignment.png

Neil.

yeah its all how it should be which is whats puzzling me , it is the slightly wider belt that everyone uses , same as what came off

drove the car in the garage all working fine , swapped all the belts now it sounds ill , i will take the charger off and try to check it all over before running it anymore

cheers for the reply

right had it all apart to double check that belt and it was right , fired it up and had a better listen sinse i wasnt so worried about the charger now and its the tensioner rattling away , if i lean on it with a screwdriver it shuts up

are they available still?

If your bushes are worn on your tensioner, I can supply you with some derlin ones. Or I'm sure Jabbasport were selling them at one time.

I can supply you with some like these, its what I have fitted on mine. As you can see the old ones pretty worn

TensionerBushes_zps4c91e6f2.jpg